What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unkown 37mm projectile .

G'day all from the land of OZ . Being a new member and my first post please excuse any mistakes as I am still finding my way around . I am trying to ID an unknown ( to me ) 37mm projectile . It has a OL of 142mm with no body marking but the base plug is marked with MBT I and a diamond with a line through the center and 4U above the line and EF below the line . The closest thing I can see to it is a US 37mm Hotchkiss sub-caliber but this is more pointed in the profile and the band is not the same . Any ideas ?

Attachments

• Unknown 37 mm ..jpg
    Unknown 37 mm ..jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Dave%20G%20003.jpg
    Dave%20G%20003.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Dave%20G%20002.jpg
    Dave%20G%20002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
Looks like an Italian Palla da 37/40-20.6 projectile WW1 toWW2. Uses a case202mmR like theFrench one.

Last edited:
I was hurried in my first post by the cats who were demanding breakfast. Now having settled them, I can continue. This projectile has no fuze, is loaded with ballistite which theoretically ignites from heat of inpact.They are very rare in the US(I know of 1 WW1 example only) and I pressume even in Europe.Was used in both WW1 andWW2. The difference in the base plug makes me think that this is a WW2 example. Hope this helps.

I thank you very much for that , it has had me digging around for some time trying to ID it and even now I have found out what it is I'm still not finding that much on it . Any idea what the case looks like for it ? Are they hard to find ?

Howdy 1Rubberduck,

Cases turn up occasionally here in Oz, look very similar to 37mm M16 but slightly shorter neck & shape. Will have 37/40 & a 3 digit date (932) along with a makers initials like ANS or MB or BPD in the headstamp.

Happy Hunting,

Regards Ozzi.

G'day Ozziammo ,
Thanks for that , I will have to keep an eye out for one of them . Not that I have seen one in the last 30 odd years of collecting !
All the best , 1rubberduck

From US TM

attachment.php

Attachments

• 37_40_HE AP.png
    37_40_HE AP.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 37_40_HE AP_.png
    37_40_HE AP_.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 37_40_HE.png
    37_40_HE.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 37_40_HE_.png
    37_40_HE_.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 11
Now for a cosmetic question , what colour if any where these painted ? Is the bit of orange paint still on this one original ?