What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armstrong Projectile??

Will M

Unfortunately I have no photos as a friend has a large projectile around 16" long and claims it is for an Armstrong gun.
The top has an opening for a fuze and the bottom is not flat but slightly angled and a round flat spot the size of a 50 cent piece in the centre. It can stand on end. It is hollow though weighs enough that I can just lift it, my guess around 60 pounds. Must be 8 to 10" in diameter. My friend thinks it's a 100 pound Armstrong projectile but does not weigh that much.

I know the description is not great but it may help to detemine if it is an Armstrong of some sort or not.
It does not have any lead covering or any lead on it. The sides are parallel and fairly smooth.

Some photos of one would be appreciated.

What is the chance of finding a fuze to fit? The opening is around 2 inches.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t