What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Hunters - History Channel

Darren

I managed to watch part of episode 1 - season 1 of a series called bomb hunters earlier today, looked quite a good series, anyone else seen any of it? Thought the link below would be of interest to some members of the forum.

link - http://www.history.ca/video/#bombhunters/video

Darren

Last edited:
Darren how did you manage to watch it ,,ive tried but it says sorry not available in your country..im in the UK

Darren how did you manage to watch it ,,ive tried but it says sorry not available in your country..im in the UK

Sorry, i should have said.... I watched a clip of it on youtube. I put the link above for reference to the series.

Hopefully someone here can provide details of how/where to watch the full epesodes/series?

Darren

In my opinion... the show is total crap!
There's more fear mongering than anything else going on in this show. The dangers of unexploded ordnance are real, however, the information presented in this show is not.
The show is simply building on the fear factor and not any real information.

For example...
During the pilot episode, the EOD crew were investigating an old firing range (a lake) that went out of use back in the 1960's. The team interviewed the brother of a man that was killed when a live UXO he found exploded. Several people in the party on the beach were injured and one man killed when the UXO exploded. A few moments later, it was stated that the man who died put the UXO in the camp fire. The round cooked-off, exploded killing one and injuring several. A terrible & horrific incident. I doubt that anyone would have been injured if the UXO was left alone, the area cleared, the ordnance reported to the authorities and NOT put in the fire.

During a clearing of a dump site, the EOD experts clear the area because remnants of an always fuze was found (the portion of a No. 69 that does not contain any explosive at all). They stated... this could go off and someone could get killed if we touch it!

In another episode (same dump site) they unearthed a fired 18pdr (no fuze). They stated... this could go off and someone could get killed if we touch it! When the show cam back from the commercial break, the round that they showed on camera was a white phosphorus mortar round and not the 18pdr that they originally found.
...why the switch, is an 18pdr is not exciting or dangerous enough on it's own??

In another episode, empty transport tubes (rusted through and decayed) caused the area to be evacuated.

In another episode, empty transport crates caused the cleanup to be shut down and the area to be evacuated.
...if the area is that dangerous and these items so dangerous, why was the EOD team using an industrial 4-wheeled self-propelled brush cutter to clear the land that had not been cleared of UXO first?
...hit a live UXO with that beast and there's a good chance of setting it off

In another episode, a mortar round was found. Upon examination it was determined that it was painted blue, and the words INERT DUMMY were painted on it. Again, it was stated... this could go off and someone could get killed if we touch it!

Please, do not take this the wrong way. I am in no way advocating that the dangers of clearing firing ranges or the handling of UXO is not dangerous. It it very dangerous & hazardous work.
The men & women that do this work deserve far more praise, thanks, resources and remuneration than they get. It's hard and dangerous work and I am very thankful that there are people out there that choose this line of work. They are making the World a safer place.

When found, both live and practice ordnance can be hazardous and should only be handled by professionals.

I am upset with the misrepresentation and false information that this show is depicting and spreading. This "reality show" could do more harm than good.
The show is more about "the business of UXO clearance and disposal" than it is anything else.

That's just my two cents... I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone.

having just spent the last hour and a half watching this i really dont know how to sum it up better than what brad has already put,,,
now wheres that time machine so i can get that hour and a half back ive just wasted from my life

Last edited:
I have watched all the episodes so far hoping that it will get better, but Brad sums it up nicely "Total crap"

Perhaps i wont bother trying to get a copy of the series after all then, not sounding too good at all.

It sounded so promising too. I guess they have to hype everything to make a "good" tv programme. Shame really....

Hangarman

found some more on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDKczvOe1ME&feature=BFa&list=PLR5Ly4BfjRYed58Vo3aQfkct-34qY_wCh
wish UK tv would do a series showing us over here that do the same,might get off minimum wage then

I would love to see a documentry on UK tv covering the work done by bomb clearence, eod etc., but I dont think a series such as this does anyone any justice. I have total respect for anyone involved in such work and in my opinion anyone doing this deserves much more than minimum wage!!!

I dont think this sort of work needs any kind of dramatisation, seeing anyone digging a hole towards an 'unknown' piece of potential lethal ordnance is in itself drama enough....it doesnt matter if it turns out to be an expended practice bomb, a steel pipe or grandmas old washing machine - the fact is the guys digging the hole and recovering this are laying their lives on the line in the knowledge that whats down there could blow them to kingdom come. Only through intensive training and extensive knowledge are they able to carry out the work in as safe a way as the situation dictates. Even so accidents do, and will happen which is why everyone in this area has my greatest respect.

I watched just one episode of the series and found it tedious viewing. There were bits in between all the 'flicking back and forth' and 'repetition of what happened 5 mins before' that I found interesting, but I dont think I could put myself through another episode of this.

Darren thanks for posting the initial link, I had wondered what this series was like - sounded good but doesnt live up to my expectations, how sad, it could have been so good!!

regards Kev