Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 510 Posts

B52 tail gun unit Cal. 50 X 4

While researching Dazzz's Popsey B rocket, this photo fell out of one of the books. It is an unskinned, 4 gun tail turret for the B52. The picture was taken during an Armed Forces Day open house at Blytheville(Eaker) AFB back in the late '70s or early '80s. Blytheville was one of the largest B52 bases in the country, back in the day. Now, it's an industrial park, albeit with an 11,000' runway.

The turret is mounted in a maintenance stand. Sadly, I didn't take a close-up of the "details" board. Anyway, it was a neat display and I'm glad I found the pic.

B52 Cal. 50 X4 tail unit 001 (800x618).jpg
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (19th November 2012), Darrol (7th January 2013), Jolly Green (20th November 2012), pointblank0 (25th November 2012), skull181 (29th April 2013), spotter (19th November 2012), thekees (19th November 2012), Tony Williams (20th November 2012), V40 (19th November 2012), vinnyw (20th November 2012), Weasel (19th November 2012)

Images
    Thanks
    Yep, back in the golden days when all-aspect ratio missles weren't around too much and the main threat thought out by SAC at the time was that they'd be intercepted from the 5-7 o'clock positions by MiG-17's, MiG-19's (Chinese J-9s), and MiG-21's - 25's.

BTW, anybody here remember Lt. Viktor Belenko's defection back in the 1970's with a MiG-25 landing in Japan?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    These .50cal machine guns i guess were the faster rate fire M3s.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V40 View Post
    Yep, back in the golden days when all-aspect ratio missles weren't around too much and the main threat thought out by SAC at the time was that they'd be intercepted from the 5-7 o'clock positions by MiG-17's, MiG-19's (Chinese J-9s), and MiG-21's - 25's.
    Some B52s had a 20mm Vulcan in the tail, but IIRC the quad-50 setup survived in service for longer.

BTW, anybody here remember Lt. Viktor Belenko's defection back in the 1970's with a MiG-25 landing in Japan?
    Yep, I remember that. I think it was eventually returned to the USSR - after first having been stripped down, measured, analysed and rebuilt...

Thanks
    I remeber seeing guns "back in the Golden Days."
    Also loved the camo over black paint jobs on the B-52s. Totally badass.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V40 View Post
    Of course, toward the end of summer 1976, USSR flamed from every hole, pressing the japanese government to get back the aircraft.
    The aircraft was moved to a special airport, dismantled and thoroughly analyzed by Japanese and American technical intellicence.
    Was returned only a couple of weeks later dismantled in 30 or 40 boxes ....

Very Cold War episode ....
    Last edited by stecol; 20th November 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Images
    Thanks
    I always liked watching them land with fighters around,they just lumberd along and the fighters zipped right by.The wing tips droping so much when they landed was cool also.Didn,t the early models have a tail gunner.
    Vinny

Thanks
    The B52 pilots had some fun with fighters at their service ceiling: their much lower wing loading meant that the huge bomber could easily out-turn the fighters and get on their tail!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi Mark,I remeber the defection of the MiG pilot with his aircraft,and the furore from the Russians about the stripdown and examination of the MiG 25,it was in fact only a bit of payback from when the Russians impounded 3 B29s,and over the following two years they reverse engineered them and lo and behold they had the Tu 4 Bull,on reflection the Mig 25 could not have been that good as they were not copied,
    Cheers,
    Don,

Images
    Thanks
    Don and others, I found this interesting info: http://www.videofact.com/english/defectors2_4en.html

Also, Don back during Vietnam, a MACVSOG Recon Team (Idaho, I think?) was on top of a mountain in Laos when they witnessed below a fury of NVA activity. This was late in the evening after they had put up a defensible RON position and were awakened by a few of the Yards on guard duty. Pitch black, but below there were allot of flashlights and colored lights and truck noises. They, the team, had been sent there to monitor a major highway (9) for a large truck and tank park. Guess they found it big time. Anyhow, soon they heard the moan and deep sounds of a piston engine. It had its wheels down and had two propellers with an engine on each side of the fuselage. It also had landing lights on. As it got close the 1-0 Team Leader saw that it was a C-47 with no markings. It passed so close beneath them that the team could see the faces of the pilot and co-pilot against the lit instrument panels. They were wearing what looked like black fatigue tops. The Yards were getting very upset by this incident and told their interpreter that they needed to get out know. The 1-0 refused because they were on a piece of rock in the bush, very well hidden, and the drop off was approximately 982 ft high. They held the high ground, the NVA below did not. The team took pictures with its Pen-EE camera of that plane and later that of a Mi-8 that had also landed and hour later. Talk about your own "Twilight Episode" and in the middle of nowhere where there was only suppose to be a small truck and tank park. They later found out that the C-47 was on the "Lend-Lease Act" during WWII and the soviets had redesignated it an IL-2.

The "Secret War" in the Vietnam War has to be the most spookiest, unbelievable, and strangist in the world.

By the way, in case you are wondering, the IL-2 airdropped supplies to the NVA that night while making 3 passes and the Mi-8 was also "sterile" and had picked up some of the cargo and took off towards the northeast.
    Last edited by V40; 22nd November 2012 at 05:37 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V40 For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (23rd November 2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast