What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6"/50 BL Mk.23 Naval Gun & Projectile

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Does anyone have any information on this Navy gun and the projectile it fired?

Other being the main gun on the HMS Ajax and on the HMS Belfast and having a 112lb. projectile I know very little about it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

After getting a photo of the projectile I'm thinking its a 6" Howitzer HE and not the 6" BL/50 Naval that the seller thinks it is.

Here's a photo... What do you think?
Other than approx 28" tall, I have no other measurements at this time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354106768.605942.jpg

I'm thinking 155mm Howitzer. The rotating band is characteristic 155. And it doesn't look the shape of naval projectiles.

Thanks Hazord!

It's going to look great when its cleaned up and repainted in its WW2 paint scheme.

Is this what it should look like all painted?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354127623.790654.jpg

Cheers,
Brad

Actually, the one you show in the rendering is UK manufacture. The photo you show of the one for sale looks like U.S. manufacture. UK material have very characteristic rotating bands. The band on the one in the photo looks U.S.

You might ask your source to look about an inch above the rotating band for stamping in the body of the projectile like 155mm M107 and a date, or something similar. You might also ask for a photo of the base to show if it has the welded plate on the bottom that the U.S. uses.

US... interesting.

His eyesight isn't that good. I doubt that he would be able to see any markings.

I thought that the fuze was a British No. 222 or No.231? That's what led me to believe that it was British or Canadian.
...I'm told the fuze does screw in all the way, it just needs a bit of oil and elbow grease

We're the fuzes interchangeable on US and British Howitzer shells?

Here's the only photo of the base I have at this time...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354190047.985772.jpg

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
The raised up area on the base, the circle that showsabout 1/2 inch from the outer edge, looks like the plate that the U.S. welds on their projectiles. It's looking more like U.S. manufacture. Most likely an M107 HE.

I know that some UK fuze wells are threaded the same as the U.S. ones.

6 in naval bands, according to the 1945 handbook are distinctly raised in the lower portion to engage the rifling when rammed and so not drop back onto the charge when the gun is elevated. Afraid I dont think yours in the photo is British.

Looking at the first picture you posted, I'll agree with HAZ in it being a 155mm howitzer (not gun), and the second picture confirms, as HAZ also said, that it is that because of the base plate. The fuze in the first picture, from what I can see of it looks like an M500/M501 series mech time, but I would have to see a full length to confirm that. Cheers, Bruce.

Well, it doesn't matter now.

The chap I had the deal with just informed me he sold the shell to someone else.

What a rat ba$tard!!!
Obviously he's no gentleman and has no honor.

I must say Thanks to HAZORD, 2POUNDER & BACARNAL for all your help.
It would have been a nice addition to my collection.

Cheers!

I've found that when ordnance becomes available you had better buy it then and there, as it usually never presents itself again and it never usually gets cheaper.

I stand corrected. That is a Brit fuse, but I don't know them, just their general appearance. Sorry you lost out on the round. Bruce.