What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British? Transit box

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all. A work friend of mine took a photo of a transit box and needs an ID. I couldn't help him out as I don't know anything about boxes (other than the shape). It has a Brit arrow on it. What is it and what is it used to transit?
many thanks
IMG_3222.jpg

Can you translate all the writing? I suspect it is RAF

Last edited:
Unfortunately not. This is the only photo he has. I had a bit of a play around with variations of the numbers and letters it could be on google but didn't come up with anything. Doesn't look like an ordnance container to me, but I don't really know.

Definitely for RAF kit.

Air Ministry stores reference 10SB covers "Radio (Radar) Test Equipment", stores reference 10SB/6078(?) would refer to the box itself.
The contents originally appear to have been a Signal Generator Type 52 or 52A, which would make sense as among other things it was part of the testing equipment for the wartime ASV Mk.VII radar set used on Air-Sea Rescue launches.

All the best,
PB

It looks to me like a transit box for a piece of signals equipment. The Ref no. 10 xxxxx denotes that is belongs to the airborne signals world (radio/radar) and the title on the bottom says that it's intended to house a Signal Generator Type 52. Boxes like these are used to protect delicate equipment in transit e.g. between the workshop and the aircraft.

Hope this helps

eodda

It looks to me like a transit box for a piece of signals equipment. The Ref no. 10 xxxxx denotes that is belongs to the airborne signals world (radio/radar) and the title on the bottom says that it's intended to house a Signal Generator Type 52. Boxes like these are used to protect delicate equipment in transit e.g. between the workshop and the aircraft.

Hope this helps

eodda

Yes it does. Thanks very much both.