What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW2 concrete mine w/ZZ42

Slick

Just got the body in the mail from far, far away. Dug around and found a fuze/det. In searching here for details, I noted a drawing in another thread of one of these on a stick/stake. It made mention of the body containing cast-in metal pieces (fragments/shrapnel). This one is magnetic, so if it is a fake, they at least went to the trouble of incorporating enough metal bits to hold a magnet. The threaded fuze hole is reliced away, so used some masking tape to hold the ZZ42 in proper alliance. The 42 is no beauty queen, but considering the time frame, condition is appropriate. And, it looks like there is some residual yellow/tan paint on the body of the mine. Anyway, here 'tis:

IMG_1044 (800x349).jpg IMG_1046 (666x800).jpgIMG_1047 (800x650).jpg

To me this looks original. They are not so rare that it would pay to make fakes. I have 2 in original paint, one field grey and one tan. There has not been any attachment thread for fuze in the mine body, the charge was a Bohrpatrone having thread sleeve where the fuze was screwed in.

I don't know why Germans called it Field grey ( Feldgrau ) because to me it rather looks green than grey.

These Stock mines would be attracted to a magnet as most German concrete mines had some form of shrapnel mixed in the concrete mix to be effective, usually the concrete i have been told powders to dust under the explosive force of the charge, so metal shrapnel is added.

They are very common in Europe, i have seen pictures in Poland of hundreds of these mines used to make a road out of them. There is also another variant of Stock mine that has a coned shaped bottom, like the top, rather than the flat bottomed version you have.
These Stock mines could also be set off with the Z.35 pull igniter under a different set up, the Z42 being the normal igniter for this mine.

As for German colours what near RAL colour match would the sand the green and grey be? And is grey a common colour for mines as well as the other?

And is grey a common colour for mines as well as the other?

Not common, but already seen both S.Mi.35 and T.Mi.35 in grey, early vintages up to 1940.

Found this interesting label in a recognition handbook:

RH-GA-221.jpg stockmine (2).jpg

Because all Sto.Mi.'s themselves where unmarked, this label for the six-pack at last shows the first proved manufacturer!

ejc stands for "Preussag" Preuische Bergwerks- & Htten-AG, Rdersdorf (they also later made the concrete 'Volkshandgranate 45').

I'm quite surprized about the early vintage 1942; the official leaflet "Merkblatt 29/1 Die Stockmine" is dated not until March 1st 1943.

Very interesting information, i always thought that Stock mines were made locally under occupation ie France or Poland, not a home produced item.

Very interesting information, i always thought that Stock mines were made locally under occupation ie France or Poland, not a home produced item.
They produced and on occupated part of USSR.Like and Holzmines. (this information I found in Soviet article of 1944)

Last edited:
Just got a couple more examples in the mail today. Thanks O & G.
I crafted some sticks from 1 1/4" dowel. Used a hand held belt sander, clamped on a workbench, to whittle down the points.
Sort of a PIA, but couldn't find a pencil sharpener that was big enough. Gonna re-do the white stick. As well, I'll be crafting
some explosive charges from the same stick, painting them silver/gray, and drilling the hole for screwing in the ZZ42s.
Which leads me to ask any all if they might have a couple of 42s just laying around that might be acquired for the project.
Here are the new additions:
IMG_2382 (800x429).jpg

I was going with silver/gray as this sectioned mine showed but will now try my hand with the waxed paper option.
Mine, German stockmine concrete.jpg

Having trouble getting on SA for some reason. Will try later.

OK. Got on SA. That's a closed auction. Is "Type91" onboard here? Or anybody know how to contact him? A couple of those would be perfect.

Last edited:
I knew it had been a while since I'd messed with these(original thread from back in '13. 5 YEARS!). Anyway, in sorting through some stuff today I found them, again. Way back when I'd "sectioned" one of the mine bodies and a ZZ42 igniter. Gathered it all up and made a display, of sorts.

mine german ww2 stockmine.jpg mine german ww2 stockmine2.jpg mine german ww2 stockmine3.jpg