What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captured Breda 20mm Guns

I presume that by "Bofors" 37mm the site means the regular British 2 Pr. anti-tank gun.

With regards to ammo for the Bredas, it is quite possible that sufficient ammo was captured to be put into the British logistical system. Both Italian and German 9mmP ammunition was fed through into the British supply system and is mentioned in Pamphlet 11, Small Arms Ammunition.

Regards
TonyE

......ok, this isnt going to solve the question of ammunition supply, but I was just wondering how frequently the Breda 20mm rounds turn up in the collectors market these days?
would this give any indication to the question of stocks???? maybe not, but curious all the same.

regards Kev

I presume that by "Bofors" 37mm the site means the regular British 2 Pr. anti-tank gun.

No - a number of 37mm Bofors anti-tank guns were captured from the Italians in North Africa and pressed into British service.

The 2 Pr was of course of 40mm calibre.

......ok, this isnt going to solve the question of ammunition supply, but I was just wondering how frequently the Breda 20mm rounds turn up in the collectors market these days?
would this give any indication to the question of stocks???? maybe not, but curious all the same.

regards Kev

Is there maybe lists of captured material from the African theatre? In some archive maybe?

regards Kev

You do see the cases occasionally but they are not that common compared to the German ones.

No - a number of 37mm Bofors anti-tank guns were captured from the Italians in North Africa and pressed into British service.

The 2 Pr was of course of 40mm calibre.

I'm sorry, but the 37 mm Bofors AT Gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_37_mm) has never been in service with the Regio Esercito, except in the case of guns captured in North Africa to the Commonwealth's armed forces (known as Ordnance QF 37 mm Mk I) and used against their former owners.

The only 37 mm AT Gun in regular service in regular service with the R.E. was the german 3,7 cm Pak 35/36.

Regards
stecol

I'm sorry, but the 37 mm Bofors AT Gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_37_mm) has never been in service with the Regio Esercito, except in the case of guns captured in North Africa to the Commonwealth's armed forces (known as Ordnance QF 37 mm Mk I) and used against their former owners.

Sorry, my memory was at fault - the British used the 37mm Bofors in North Africa, but seem to have bought them, presumably from Bofors, instead of capturing them.