What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M-23 VX Pop Up Mine

weberoed

Ordnance approved
I recently obtained copies of Project Chord, this project looked at use of chemcials - mostly VX in the VietNam environmental. Sorry the photos are very good. These reports go ont o describe the use os VX and other agents in various APRES rounds and even in a variation of the Xm-22 gravel mine (which I will post shortly). The reports also go into detail about the use of incapacitating agents like BZ.

M-23 VX landmine PoP Up
functioning.jpgM23 full mine.jpgM 23 VX pop up.jpgAir Burst Chemical Mine
A further embodiment of the explosivespring principle isthe adapter for the two-gallon chemical mine M-23. Thedevice suggested by CRDL of having immediate application, would consist of a conversionkit for field or depot application to the presently-stocked V agent mine. A significantenhancement of theM-23 mine effectiveness would result with air-burst. Figure shows a cross section viewdetailing one practical configuration of the device. In a target-actuatedsituation any standard firing device such as pressure M1A1 or pull release M3inserted in the fuze well, with a right angle adapter or extension whereappropriate. When the fuze is initiatated by the target, the following sequenceoccurs:

1)Flash from fuzeignites delay fuse.
2)Delayfuse burns for5 seconds, toallow target to pass over the mine for unobstructed upward flight .
3) Delay fuseignites propellant.
4) Propellant functions, expandingdiaphragm and throwing mine upward.
5) Lanyard is pulled taut, functioningpull wire igniter in the air burst fuze.
6 )Flash from igniter lights delay train in the fuse.
7) Delay train burns2. 2 seconds, allowing mine to reach 100-footaltitude.
8) Delay train ignites detonator.
9) Detonator fires booster, which inturn fires burster.

When command fired, the squib will beinitiated electrically, igniting propellant instantly, after which steps 4through 9 will be identical.

The individual subsystems within theprojected device have each been tested satisfactorily. In particular, the pop-up mechanism wasdemonstrated at CRDL on 17 October 1962, at which time a water-filled, inertM-23 was projected to approximately 100 feet altitude a s shown in the figure.

The design of this item is intended tomake it fully compatible with exiting systems including fuzing, automatic minelayingequipment, and packaging. It isenvisioned that the device would be packaged in groups of three, using the samesteel drum presently used for shipping three M-23 mines, with theouter shells in the presentmine recessesof the container.and the air burst fuzes in cans in the fuze recesses of the containers.If the conversion were made at a depot the mine could then be shipped on in thedrum which held the conversion kits. The munition will be compatible withexisting automatic minelaying equipment such as the "Dan Patch (theloading conveyor for the "DanPatch" would make an excellent point at which to make theconversion if a field modification is desired). It should be noted that as inlaying AP fuzedmine withthe "Dan Patch1', the mine must be dug up and hand-fuzed.

Fundamental to the design of anydevice intended to produce an aerosol by the rapid vaporization and recondensationof a liquid agent, is an understanding ofthe stability of that agent when exposed to time/temperature conditionsrequisite for its rapid vaporization. Accordingly, a study was undertakenhaving as its objective:

Themeasurement andcorrelation of data concerning the stability of the compound Bia
(2, Ethyl Hexyl) Hydrogen Phosphite("Bie" stimulant) vapor at high temperature for
millisecond time intervals.
The measurement and correlation of data concerning the stability of agentVX as vapor
at high temperatures for millisecondtime intervals.
The development of a technique andequipment suitable for thermal decomposition studies on a wide range of agentsof military usefulness.

As elevated temperature seems to be theonlyimmutable requirementof a vaporization-recondensationmunition,conditions were chosen in orderto best isolate the first order pure thermal breakdown (pyrolyeie) free ofbreakdown caused by contaminant, the redox condition of the gas stream,etc.

Well, according to a General John Singlaub (ret.) who was in charge of SOG operations he did in a round-about conversation stating that something similar was used. It also sounded like it was nowhere near CN or CS.

they played with the XM 54 PWP pop up that used the same system.

T\In the early 60's the were a number of chemcial munitions that were being looked at for Vietnam, but no chemcials other then CS, CN, DM and yes a couple missions using BZ were used.

I bet we will not see those missions released to the general public under FOIA anytime soon. That is unless you know anything?

here some pics of it

Attachments

• M-23 chemische mijn met pop up adapter.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 37