Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 76mm projo ?

Thanks

76mm projo ?

Another item I have yet to ID is this projo. 76mm dia. 245mm length. solid shot with cap and 1/2 in dia. tracer hole. Twin driving bands. Honestly, Ive been tryin to figure this one out but as of yet have not seen another example. Im sure someone will know this. Thanks, SHAKY
    tec 021.jpg

Premium Member
    Thanks
    17 Pr APC/T

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

17 Pr APC-T

I didn't look on BOCN threads, it must sure be in, but I have a picture where you can see your projectile. Also Blackwatch wrote, it's an 17 Pr APC-T (center projo on picture).

Yoda
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any live or dug ordnance presented by me has been disposed of by EOD technicians.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.p...tank&Itemid=58 no photos but dimentions may be usefull

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 649 Posts
    Thanks for showing the photo. The cap has an unusual profile, its longer than the normal 17 pounder APC. Are there any stampings on it other than as shown in the photo?
    Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the info. I see the difference also between the cap of mine compared to the one in the photo. Mine is not rounded the same as the example Yoda has, instead mine is straight edged for about 20mm before it starts to round towards the top. The cap length itself measures 75mm in length. Besides a 10 stamped on the lower part of the cap, there is only 9687 stamped on the bottom. I see no other marks even after a nice clean up in the evapo-rust. Only black paint which (whats left) seems to be original.
    Thanks, Shaky.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAKY View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. I see the difference also between the cap of mine compared to the one in the photo. Mine is not rounded the same as the example Yoda has, instead mine is straight edged for about 20mm before it starts to round towards the top. The cap length itself measures 75mm in length. Besides a 10 stamped on the lower part of the cap, there is only 9687 stamped on the bottom. I see no other marks even after a nice clean up in the evapo-rust. Only black paint which (whats left) seems to be original.
    Thanks, Shaky.
    Thanks I can't help you with the meaning of the stamping, 17 pounder for sure but possibly a development round.
    Nice item though.
    Dave.

Thanks
    Hey cheers. I kinda figure post ww2 compared to the other examples Ive seen elsewhere but who knows. Ive had it sitting with two other sherman rounds, an original British solid shot, and a super sherman POT 75. Somehow I figured it would fit in here somewhere. Could someone tell me the case size for this? I understand that some of these projectiles were also used with the 3 inch AA cases since some of the new 17pdr guns were too big to refit into some tanks. Therefore the true 17pdr had a higher velocity than the old 3 inch guns. I was led to believe that the cases for the 3 inch were shorter than the regular 17pdr, but the 3 inch case I have doesnt seem to be a great difference in size. Id like to say its a round for the Canadian made Ram. Why not ? Regardless Ill be keeping my eyes open for a 17pdr case. Thanks for the help again, SHAKY

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The Comet was the only tank to use the 77mm gun. This used 17 pr projectiles with the old 3" 20 cwt AA gun cartridge case. 3" cases are easier to find than 77mm cases but though the same dimensionally, the crimping is different.

Your 3" case is probably a US 3" case and though a similar length to 17 pr is a slimmer case. These were used in M10 tank destroyer.

Ram only used 2 pr in the Mk1 and 6 pr in the Mk 2. There were a few converted post war to 75mm, these used standard Sherman type ammo with the M18 case.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbarrell View Post
    The Comet was the only tank to use the 77mm gun. This used 17 pr projectiles with the old 3" 20 cwt AA gun cartridge case. 3" cases are easier to find than 77mm cases but though the same dimensionally, the crimping is different.
    The case shoulder is also different. It's a lot more rounded on the older 3" cases. The 77mm cases have a more angular shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast