What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm projo ?

SHAKY

Another item I have yet to ID is this projo. 76mm dia. 245mm length. solid shot with cap and 1/2 in dia. tracer hole. Twin driving bands. Honestly, Ive been tryin to figure this one out but as of yet have not seen another example. Im sure someone will know this. Thanks, SHAKY
tec 021.jpg

17 Pr APC-T

I didn't look on BOCN threads, it must sure be in, but I have a picture where you can see your projectile. Also Blackwatch wrote, it's an 17 Pr APC-T (center projo on picture).

Yoda

Attachments

• UK 17 Pdr-01.jpg
    UK 17 Pdr-01.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for showing the photo. The cap has an unusual profile, its longer than the normal 17 pounder APC. Are there any stampings on it other than as shown in the photo?
Dave.

Thanks everyone for the info. I see the difference also between the cap of mine compared to the one in the photo. Mine is not rounded the same as the example Yoda has, instead mine is straight edged for about 20mm before it starts to round towards the top. The cap length itself measures 75mm in length. Besides a 10 stamped on the lower part of the cap, there is only 9687 stamped on the bottom. I see no other marks even after a nice clean up in the evapo-rust. Only black paint which (whats left) seems to be original.
Thanks, Shaky.

Thanks everyone for the info. I see the difference also between the cap of mine compared to the one in the photo. Mine is not rounded the same as the example Yoda has, instead mine is straight edged for about 20mm before it starts to round towards the top. The cap length itself measures 75mm in length. Besides a 10 stamped on the lower part of the cap, there is only 9687 stamped on the bottom. I see no other marks even after a nice clean up in the evapo-rust. Only black paint which (whats left) seems to be original.
Thanks, Shaky.

Thanks I can't help you with the meaning of the stamping, 17 pounder for sure but possibly a development round.
Nice item though.
Dave.

Hey cheers. I kinda figure post ww2 compared to the other examples Ive seen elsewhere but who knows. Ive had it sitting with two other sherman rounds, an original British solid shot, and a super sherman POT 75. Somehow I figured it would fit in here somewhere. Could someone tell me the case size for this? I understand that some of these projectiles were also used with the 3 inch AA cases since some of the new 17pdr guns were too big to refit into some tanks. Therefore the true 17pdr had a higher velocity than the old 3 inch guns. I was led to believe that the cases for the 3 inch were shorter than the regular 17pdr, but the 3 inch case I have doesnt seem to be a great difference in size. Id like to say its a round for the Canadian made Ram. Why not ? Regardless Ill be keeping my eyes open for a 17pdr case. Thanks for the help again, SHAKY

The Comet was the only tank to use the 77mm gun. This used 17 pr projectiles with the old 3" 20 cwt AA gun cartridge case. 3" cases are easier to find than 77mm cases but though the same dimensionally, the crimping is different.

Your 3" case is probably a US 3" case and though a similar length to 17 pr is a slimmer case. These were used in M10 tank destroyer.

Ram only used 2 pr in the Mk1 and 6 pr in the Mk 2. There were a few converted post war to 75mm, these used standard Sherman type ammo with the M18 case.

The Comet was the only tank to use the 77mm gun. This used 17 pr projectiles with the old 3" 20 cwt AA gun cartridge case. 3" cases are easier to find than 77mm cases but though the same dimensionally, the crimping is different.
The case shoulder is also different. It's a lot more rounded on the older 3" cases. The 77mm cases have a more angular shoulder.

Your 3" case is probably a US 3" case and though a similar length to 17 pr is a slimmer case. These were used in M10 tank destroyer.

Ram only used 2 pr in the Mk1 and 6 pr in the Mk 2. There were a few converted post war to 75mm, these used standard Sherman type ammo with the M18 case.

Tanks are not my cup of tea, but didn't the Sherman Firefly use also the 17 Pr gun ?

Yoda

Tanks are not my cup of tea, but didn't the Sherman Firefly use also the 17 Pr gun ?

Yoda

Yes it did Yoda with the 17 pounder case not the 77mm case that Falcon refers to - same projectiles though.

Dave.

Ok. I must get this right in my head. The M10 tank destroyer is equipped with the 3" M7 gun. This would be the 3" 76mm AA case. Im just confused with the 17 pdr is 76mm, how is the 3" AA gun 77mm if they both use the same projectile?:sad: I also believe that the M10s gun with the smaller case was outclassed by the 17pdrs higher velocity? Were these M10s then changed out to the 17pdr guns? After this I swear Im just going to put this back on the shelf and forget about it for a while. Happy New Year !!! Thanks again, SHAKY

Last edited:
I believe they were called 76 and 77mm in service to avoid confusion between the two types of ammunition.

Last edited:
Its not on the shelf yet. Just did a little more searching and came up with this. Three different cases here that share the same projectile?
3" AA cases-76.2 x 600r
17pdr cases-76.2 x 583r
77mm HV cases-76.2 x 420r
I think this is right ?

3" M7 (M10 tank destroyer) 76.2 x 585R. Does not use 17Pr projectiles.

O.Q.F. 17 Pr 76.2 x 583R

O.Q.F. 77m 76.2 x 420R

That works for me. I quoted a length of 600mm for the 3" only because thats what case I have here. Is this not the size of the 3" AA. These cases were modified to accept different projectile and shortened to 585mm? Many thanks, SHAKY

Hi SHAKY, the AA gun and the AT gun are completely different, only sharing the same calibre.
Your 76.2 x 600R could also be a coast defence gun? Model 1898, 1902 are CD, model 1918 AA.

Perfect. Its 3" Mk 2 I think, hard to see what mark and yes to the markings "gun mod of 98-02-18". Cheers, SHAKY

The case shoulder is also different. It's a lot more rounded on the older 3" cases. The 77mm cases have a more angular shoulder.

I'd never noticed that! I just compared the two and the necking down starts lower on the 77mm so they are definately not the same case.