What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI 75 Round?

Pea Shooter

A friend came by the other day a gave me this round. I am sure it is a 75mm.. The fuse is dated 1907. the question that I have, is what type of round is it? ( H.E., shrapnel, IMG_0035.jpgIMG_0043.jpgect.) Also what color would it have been painted? Thank you, Vaughn

It is a shrapnel, but the question is whether it is a 75mm or a 3-inch. Some say that the two crimping grooves are the ID feature, I've always been taught that 75mm came both with and without, that it was the height of the rotating band from the base. The low band is the 3-inch, the high band the 75mm.

No idea on the color, most I've seen are a dark red, almost maroon.

Hello Pea Shooter, the fuse is a model 1907 Time and Percussion - not necessarily made in 1907. It should have a manufacture year stamped on it elsewhere.
The shell is possibly a WW1 bringback and may have a WW1 date.
Cheers, Graeme

Here is a picture of the only numbers I found on the round . Does the "12" mean 1912? Jeff can you tell me how to tell me how to tell between a 75 and a 3 inch round? Thank you, VaughnIMG_0044.jpg

For the shrapnels at least they are pretty much identical. The only differences are as previously mentioned, the presence/lack of crimping grooves in the projo body and the height of the rotating band. I'll try and take a few photos when I get home tonight, worth a thousand words...

In regard to the stamped numbers, consistency of marking between manufacturers during that time frame was pretty poor. I would hazard a guess that the numbers are more of a lot number or something similar, but others could perhaps provide better info.

OK, here is the deal -

I finally pulled the pubs, too lazy/busy to do the proper research in years earlier. Referencing "Handbook of the 3-inch Gun Materiel" August 1915 and "Handbook of the 75mm Gun Materiel" I located the following information:

In regard to the 3-inch Common Shrapnel projectile, "The rotating band is forced into an annular groove cut into the case 1.2 inches from the base." (page 36 para 2)

In regard to the 75mm Common Shrapnel, MKI projectile, "The rotating band of copper is forced into an annular groove1.65 inches from the base." (page 22 para 4)

I've attached scans from the two documents showing diagrams of the projectiles. I've also attached a photo of some of mine, showing some 75s with a 3-inch at the far right of the photo. While not dramatic, you can see the difference in band height. In addition you can see the coloring of the 75mm projectile near the center of the photo, typical of the coloring I've normally seen.

Hope this helps, JO

3-inch Gun.jpg75mm Gun.jpgDSCN4047.jpg

Jeff,

Thanks for quoting the information on the 3 inch field gun and 75mm gun projectiles. Does you library also include info regarding the dimensions of the 3 inch antiaircraft shrapnel projectile, which would also have 2 crimping grooves and if you want to make things worse, add in the 3 inch 23 cal Navy shrapnel projectile.

Hi Jeff;
I measured the copper band to the base, and it is close to 1.2 inches. so it must be a 3in. round. who used 3in. rounds in WWI? ARMY or NAVY? Thanks for your time. VaughnIMG_0046.jpg

The other models mentioned by Hazord aside, yours is typical of the Army 3-inch.

IMG_0970.jpgIMG_0969.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpgIMG_0973.jpgIMG_0974.jpgIMG_0975.jpgIMG_0976.jpg My father was given this the other day. I believe it to be a 3 inch shrapnel round. I would like any information you could give me on it. Just under 11 inches long. Diameter is aprox. 2.91 inches. Dose any one know the weight this shell should be loaded vs. unloaded

It is a shrapnel round but what type I don't know.

Offhand I do not know the filled weight of a 3" shrapnel (should be reasonably easy to determine from a handbook - try searching for a digital copy online), but I would imagine the weight differential between a filled and empty shell would be significant with all the heavy shrapnel balls - meaning that it should be fairly obvious if it is still filled and live. ie. A similar 18 pounder shell weighs around 18 pounds filled.

You are right to be cautious with this shell. I think the shell has been fired because of the time setting on the fuse, the distortion of the fuse nose cap and the loss of the driving band, however that does not mean it is inert. Could have been a dud AA round (with percussion element removed) that fell to earth still live.

The dug up relic condition is a concern. It could be an empty collector shell that was thrown away or buried, or it could be a live battlefield pick-up. The provenance of where it came from or how it was obtained should be considered.

Be very careful with this and seek expert advice. If you cannot be certain of its status, ring the police and have it removed (it will be destroyed). Relic condition shrapnel shells and M1907 Scovill shrapnel fuses are not that rare or overly valuable - certainly not compared to personal injury or worse.

I believe a 3" Shrapnel projectile weighs about 14 pounds. The missing rotating band indicates that it has been scrapped. The screws holding the head appear to be missing (sheared?). The fuze does look like it has impacted the ground. All of these point to a re-assembled projectile. You could try soaking the fuze and head in a penetrating oil to see if you could unscrew them. But, you're on your own. Good Luck.

Gerald,

I weighed my EMPTY and cleaned up 75mm MK1 Shrapnel and 3" shrapnel (as featured on this thread) and they both weigh around 6 pounds, with M-1907 fuze installed ~EMPTY~.

US SUBS,

On your pictured 75mm MK1 Shrapnel projectile, what does the stenciling read to the right of the "75G -" ????????????

75 MK1 Shrapnel.jpg