Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

HELP> What is this ? Detonator of some sort ?

Hi , I just joined here to see if anyone knows what this thing is . My dad brought it home from somewhere about 50 years ago and mentioned that it was a detonator for a mine or something .It's in the garage ever since . Is it dangerous ? Any value ? IMG_7513.jpgIMG_7515.jpgIMG_7516.jpgIMG_7517.jpgIMG_7518.jpgIMG_7520.jpgIMG_7521.jpgI'm in Kilkenny , Ireland . 2 euro coin in photo to show size.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldwingkk For This Useful Post:

Darrol (5th January 2013), pointblank0 (5th January 2013), Weasel (5th January 2013)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Its a horn from a sea mine, very nice display, if you come up with a value and want to sell it let me know,,,,,,,,,,, Dave

Images
    Thanks
    Hi Goldwingkk,
    Welcome to the forum, thats a lovely item and displayed beautifully, as Dave has pointed out it is indeed a horn from a sea mine, not my area so am unable to tell you which model it is from but no doubt someone here will have that information for you.
    Best regards Weasel.
    Please use the SEARCH function

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi goldwingkk,Welcome to the forum,I am fairly sure someone will identify the horn for you,very nice desirable display item,
    Cheers,
    Don,

Premium Member
    Thanks
    As Millsbomber said , it's a mine horn . If you check the brass collar it will have markings on it that will probably give you a date & country of origin . It could be either British or German & from either WW . Very nice item !

Thanks
    No, that was wrong info above. Shugar/Chlorate horns were used much more early, in the beginning of sea mining. What you have is an early battery, as used for sea mines thats based on what is called in german a "Bunsen Tauchelement". The glass tube contains Potassium Bichromate in Sulphuric Acid. What you can't see in this nice display (I like it very much) is the Zink/Carbon element situated below the glass tube. With this battery 2 Volts at a few amperes could be produced for up to 30 Minutes. Your horn is called a "Hertz Horn", named after its inventor. Bending the lead tube breaks the glass tube and releases the acid solution on the Zink/Carbon element, producing enough electricity to set off an electric igniter. Like the other blokes before I also would appreciate it very much if you would give me a holler if you should ever decide to get rid of this nice display.
    Bellifortis.

Thanks
    It could help to know how they are marked the sides of the nut at the base of the horn.

Regards
    stecol

Thanks
    Thank you all very much .It's great to know what it actually is there are markings on the sides of the brass nut . I will read them and put it up tomorrow .It has survived being moved about in the garage all these years and I'm afraid it might get broken , so would I sell it on this page or e bay or what value is it ?. Am I allowed to put my e mail address up here ? or a link ? Thank you all again.

Thanks
    Thank you i just washed it with water and an old brush as it had years of dust and grime on it This forum has been a great help I hope it gets a safe home soon as it's a miracle it has survived in my place all these years , Thanks again.

Images
    Thanks
    you can sell it in the classified section, but im sure you will get some nice offers.
    Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast