What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zugzunder, friction primer

timefuze

Hi Guys,

Happy new year and lot's of collecting fun!

I have a friction primer (I think) and would like to know for which type of weapon it was used. Is it a German one?

Thanks for any help,

Timefuze

friction primer.jpg

German artillery primer. ( as shown on link, sorry didn't read the link first )

Last edited:
Hallo,
this is a 19th century artillery primer, originally used for black powder muzzle loading artillery pieces. But, as I heard, this has been found on WW 1 sites also, it may have been also used sometimes in the early 20th century. Which uses it had in the 20th century, I really don't know. 20th century artillery pieces for smokeless powder did not have a ignition hole this friction primer would fit in. The german name for this is "Schlagrhre" and it was packed in tinboxes with 25 pieces in it.
Bellifortis

Hi Bellifortis,

Thanks for the help.
I found it on a former German World War II training ground... I have no knowledge of World War I activities in the same area. Could these primers have been used to train soldiers in making booby traps perhaps?

Regards,

timefuze

Hallo timefuze,
it could have been used for such a purpose, but I doubt it. This would be too far an improvisation. This "Schlagrhre" gives off a sharp spit of flame, so also the recieving charge had to be ignitable. Also fixing this tube to anything would be a not easy improvisation.
I heard before that these were found on 20th century sites, but up till now nobody had any explanation for this. By the way, these "Feld-Schlagrhren" are to be placed in the 2. half of the 19th century, in the first half (Napoleonic times) a similar looking tube, without friction wire arrangement was used, that was ignited by a portfire or a slow match.
Bellifortis.