What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 mm.?

Hi Vaughn,
APFSDS is an acronym for
Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot

Best Weasel.

Everyone is right it is the M 791 that uses the tungsten, when I worked for GD-OTS we loaded these and the M 919, the problems with the penetrator shown is the tip is missing. In the beginning the tips of these had a harder tungensten tip that was scrwed on, that practice was dropped around 1993 or 95. When I called the plant this morning to talk to a couple old friends they tell me the 919 has been taken out of production becasue the preformance of the 791 has been so great.

I am the rookie here. Can some one give the words for A.F.P.S.D.S.? Thank you, Vaughn

You might find this article of interest - it explains various acronyms and other terms to do with ammo: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Cartridges.htm

Also this one dealing with high-velocity ammo, from which the drawing below is taken: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/highvel.htm

APtypes.jpg

That's very interesting about the 30x211 APFSDS. How far did the project get? Someone recently send me a photo of what appears to be drill or dummy rounds in this calibre with an APFSDS-like "projectile". I'm rather surprised that such a round was being developed, given that AFAIK this cartridge was only ever used in the 1950s-era AA gun, typically in a twin mounting on the back of a 6x6. The last time I saw it was during the break-up of Yugoslavia when it was being used in ground fighting. Were there any plans to install this gun in an AFV turret?

I have just acquired one of the "dummy" 30x211 rounds I mentioned above, but was told that it was an experimental HEAT loading. Either way it's interesting. I need to try to get inside it....

Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot. May also have a -T for tracer depending on the caliber and specific round.

Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot. May also have a -T for tracer depending on the caliber and specific round.

That's what I had assumed, but I must admit that the projectile shape looks very different from the APFSDS one shown in the photo earlier in this thread. Furthermore, it's possible to see the tail fins through the primer flash hole, which seems rather elaborate for a dummy, and the person I obtained it from said he'd taken one apart and it had a HEAT-type interior.

I must post a photo, but I've just changed computers and haven't yet sorted out image uploading....

Tony,
disregard my previous post, I was scanning through posts this morning just before leaving for work - at 0500 I am not always at my sharpest and I was responding to the last post on page 1, the current discussion is well into page 2. Sorry.....

Tony,
disregard my previous post, I was scanning through posts this morning just before leaving for work - at 0500 I am not always at my sharpest and I was responding to the last post on page 1, the current discussion is well into page 2. Sorry.....

I suspect we've all done that - many times :tinysmile_angry2_t: