What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howitzer Display

Cannoncocker155mm

Hi All,

I expect you have all seen my Wanted Adverts for 155mm Howitzer items as well as general Artillery equipment? Well I thought it was time for you to see what I do with all the stuff I collect.

Please see below some photos from my Vietnam Artillery Display held at the 2012 War and Peace Show. This years display was dedicated to Mr Larry tesh of The 1/92nd Field Artillery who served during the Vietnam War.

The unit sign in the photos is copied from one of his orignal photographs taken at Fort Bragg, North Carolina the year before he was deployed to Vietnam.
I hope you enjoy them

As always I'm still on the look out for anything related to the US 155mm Howitzer to make my displays bigger and better. These items can be tools, canvas items, equipment, cleaning brushes etc etc.

Do any of our members know any Artillery dealers or have items for sale themselves ??? They can be from WW2 , Korea and Vietnam

Thank you

Attachments

• g503 12.jpg
    g503 12.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 67
  • g503.jpg
    g503.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 63
  • g503 1.jpg
    g503 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 67
  • g503 2.jpg
    g503 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 62
  • g503 3.jpg
    g503 3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 62
  • g503 4.jpg
    g503 4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 63
  • g503 5.jpg
    g503 5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 59
  • g503 6.jpg
    g503 6.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 67
  • g503 8.jpg
    g503 8.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 66
  • g503 9.jpg
    g503 9.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 67
  • g503 10.jpg
    g503 10.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 64
  • g503 11.jpg
    g503 11.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 60
And the wimps over here are scared of assualt rifles!! The neighbors here would have the Air Force called in with air stikes if they saw this.

Very nice display, and very comprehensive with all of the accessories etc. The only thing I would question, would be mustard gas projectiles on a front line artillery battery in Vietnam, especially fuzed and sitting the closest to the Howitzer and on the loading tray that the crew is carrying.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words. The display is a loose portrayal on a Vietnam artillery Firebase so distance of fuzed rounds to the gun wouldnt be realistic, all the rounds are on display for the same reason, to give the public a view of the type of rounds used. I do also display this set up as a WW2 Firebase.

Thanks

Maybe you want to check if it would be more reralistic to fit some driving band protectors to the shells as when they are paletized and come from the storage area?

Pic 1. Did they use wooden battens with curves cut into them to separate the tubes (M2?). I know the British army uses them on loaded pallets.

Maybe you want to check if it would be more reralistic to fit some driving band protectors to the shells as when they are paletized and come from the storage area?

I would of fitted Driving band protectors but I have only seen 1 in the last 6 years and that was a dug up from Belgium and it was in a very poor state. If anybody has the correct driving bands please let me know :)

Pic 1. Did they use wooden battens with curves cut into them to separate the tubes (M2?). I know the British army uses them on loaded pallets.

Yes when the tubes are stacked up and strapped with steel bands they do come with curved out wood separating the layers of tubes.

Thanks