What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

303 shotshells

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi I am trying to find some information on 303 shot shells and did the military use them?
Cheers
Andy

As far as I know 303 shotshells were used in the 80s when you could buy 303 rifles on shotgun cert which had bored out barrels a little bit larger than 303 rather than 410. Not very effective.

Hi BMG50, yes they were about then, but i was wondering if the military used them in the war, i know the Indians used them in there musket which i have, but did we make any?
Regards
Andy

There are some experimental shotshells that turn up on shortened .303 inch cases, cut just below the shoulder. They are allegedly trial rounds for issue for survival use by downed pilots in South East Asia, but the Pacific war ended before they were needed. However, I have not seen any documentary evidence to support this. The rounds were made and I have a couple of examples though.

The Indian .410 Musket rounds cannot really be called .303 shot loads , as they simply used the basic un-necked case and the weapons were no longer .303 inch.

I have 410I shot and spherical ball and am looking hard for a blank. I don't think we will ever see the drill or segmented shot versions over here!

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Thank you Tony, do you have any pictures of the .410 musket rounds and head stamps please.
Regards
Andy

Here you go Andy.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 410I.jpg
    410I.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 44
  • .410Indhs.jpg
    .410Indhs.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 37