What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FMV Jumping Grenade

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
New Jumping grenade from FMV
http://www.fmv.se/sv/Nyheter-och-press/Nyheter-fran-FMV/Hoppande-handgranat/

translated text below......

A FMV-employed engineer behind the biggest news in the grenade area since WWI. By jumping up just before brisaden and direct shrapnel in a cone down to the ground minimizes the risk of innocent victims, while the grenade is many times more effective against their military objectives.

When an ordinary shrapnel grenade explodes, half of shrapnel into the ground to no value. The other half goes into the air, spreading in all directions and involves unnecessary danger to a third party. Only a few fragments have a chance to give effect to the target, provided that no soldier behind a small barrier, then no effect correctly.
- I started this because I did not like the usual grenades turned its function. They are unnecessarily hazardous to innocents around and they do not generally able to achieve the goal, says Ian Kinley, technical expertise in specialized munitions at FMV.
Ian-Kinley_6_230.jpg
Ian Kinleys solution is based instead on the grenade suspends himself in the air before it explodes.

- Because it defers to reach not only targets behind obstacles. The actual technology behind the launch means that it knows what is up and down, which allows us to target shrapnel downwards, in an area five meters around the crash site, said Ian Kinley.
[h=2]Reduced risk of third party[/h]By concentrating power in a cone in the shell, rather than spreading shrapnel spherical cluster density also increases several times. The goal then struck from above and thus over a larger area, and with increased
Ian-Kinley_5_230.jpg
fragmentation, increasing the likelihood that it turned out. No splinters go sideways, which dramatically reduces the risk of bystanders.

- In addition, we have incorporated an additional safety feature that slows splittren to make them harmless against innocent people.
The effect is achieved by splittren are designed so that the brakes themselves farther from the grenade they will. At 30 meters is enough normal clothes for protection. Frequently grenades can seriously harm people who are much farther away than that from brisaden.
Ian Kinleys work on improving the grenade function began over ten years ago when he took over responsibility including hand grenades at FMV. The goal was to improve them so that they were not as dangerous to a third party. The result - the biggest change within hand grenade range since the First World War - and a world patent on technology for FMV.
[h=2]
Ian-Kinley_2_230.jpg
FMV has a patent on the technology[/h]Ian Kinley rewarded for his work with the shell of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences war with a silver medal from the eighth magnitude, and next year will begin grenade delivered to the Armed Forces. It replaces the older models of hand grenades that have indiscriminate brand image.
- Sweden sends men and women at work in the world to defend the democratic world and protect civilians from abuse. This requires that we give them the best tools to solve their tasks, anything else is unthinkable in a democracy like ours says Ian Kinley.
Ian Kinley's FMV's technical expert on special ammunition. This means both that he is responsible for the knowledge of the field in the FMV and the fact that he helps other authorities, the Armed Forces, FOI, police and MSB, when they have issues in his area. With his background as an engineer and captain in the army, Ian Kinley easy to see technologies in the Armed Forces.
[h=2]Effective low-cost solution[/h]- I can clearly see the direct application of technology for the Armed Forces and has the ability to make it a reality. My task is to satisfied military needs in a clever and inexpensive way possible. I enjoy working in this environment and it is satisfying to be able to contribute to Sweden's defense.
Basically is Ian Kinleys work to continually find the most effective solution for the cheapest payment. Since bursting grenade 07 is so much more efficient than conventional hand grenades do not need as many soldiers. It provides both better battle economy, simpler logistics and reduced training requirements.
- Anyone can do expensive things and make them work, it's no challenge. It is the simple is difficult to get at. As with the jumping hand grenade. We have really just given it a new shape and added some new pyrotechnics in a smart way. It is a cheap way to get a whole new capability.
[h=2]Academic Award[/h]Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences has noted Ian Kinleys invention and says the grenade exploded 07 is of extreme importance for the Swedish defense.Particular emphasis is put on the ability to reduce the risk of a third party.
- I feel honored, of course. It's extremely satisfying to the department, which assesses efforts for the defense on an academic level, choosing to give me a medal for my invention.
[h=2]So save lives grenade jump[/h]What: Blast Grenade 07, SHGR 07th
Background: SHGR 07 is designed to greatly reduce the risk of a third party, ie innocents who happen to be in the wrong place. At the same time it provides a greatly increased probability of exclusion.
How technology : Grenade thrown like a regular grenade and rolls until it stops. A first pyrotechnic charge activates a rising mechanism that allows grenade stands up. Thus it knows what's up and ner.En second charge postpones grenade straight up in luften.Vid about two meters grenade explodes, spreading shrapnel in a cone towards the ground, in the military area of interest, five meters around the crash site.
Advantages of a standard hand grenade : Trading shrapnel against the military target, which reduces the risk of injury in the third part.Designen of themselves splittren allow them to quickly lose energy outside the military area of interest. At 30 meters distance gives splittren no permanent damage. Luftbrisaden makes splinter cone reaches the objectives underlying the protection. Splitt Rets direction from above also provides a larger target area for overhead goals. Since all cluster goes down, in the military area of interest, it is much denser than fragments from a common shell, which increases the probability of exclusion. The shell is always possible to switch to a regular markbrisad with a simple operation

Nice technology, but i always considered a grenade as an area weapon with as wide a blast area so to get as many targets as possible. This one would certainly mince up a solitary target nicely. Trade mark it as a Cuisinart Mk1.

Whew,nasty little bugger,and clever as well,but,(I dont wish to sound facecious,)I always thought grenades when thrown were meant to be dangerous to as many people as possible,if you had a group of heavily armed soldiers coming towards you bent on doing you some serious harm,would it not be better to tenderise as many as possible and not just one or two unfortunate ones that were closest/underneath this little beast,in certain circumstances there may well be innocent bystanders,(not many innocent bystanders in the middle of something like a Banzai charge),would there be time in such situations to decide which mode you want the gren to operate in,then change the mode and throw it,there must be a suitable use for this gren for them to have spent so much time and money on developing it,credit must be given to the inventor for ingenuity,but ???,
Cheers,
Don