What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow Panther.

skull181

Here is my Panther road wheel basking in the snow. :proud:

Enjoying being back in the cold, the road wheel is happy as a tank in mud!

These pictures could have been taken in the war time Ardennes or Southern Germany.

What a job getting it out of the shed.... :argh:

Attachments

• Snow Panther 001 (640x480).jpg
    Snow Panther 001 (640x480).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Snow Panther 002 (640x480).jpg
    Snow Panther 002 (640x480).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Snow Panther 003 (640x480).jpg
    Snow Panther 003 (640x480).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Snow Panther 004 (640x480).jpg
    Snow Panther 004 (640x480).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 94
Great photos Skull 181, it looks like its on the battle field.

Dave.

Its an instantly recognisable piece and I should think quite scarce. Love the photo in the snow.
regards Kev

Great minds think alike, my Maxim was out loving the snow too.

Maximsnow2_zps2974769f.jpg

I had a decision to make on my Panther road wheel, it didn't seem right to keep it in my shed, away on it's own.

I'd had it for ages and it was silently rusting away.

So, after a long thought, I decided the best thing to do was to give it a new lease of life.

Back to were it belongs... So...

I decided to get in touch with the RAC Tank Museum Bovington.

I received this last week:

Dear peter,

The wheel and jack arrived safely on Sunday, I have had a couple of days away from the office, so I am now playing catch up with my e-mails.

The wheel is a god send as the rear wheel on our Jadg Panther is buckled. We will prepare and paint before Christmas and fit it at the same time as installing our recently restored L43/42 Pak 88 field gun which will be parked along side.

The jack we think is Panzer II/III. We will probably fit it to our Panzer III “N”.

Thank you once again for thinking of us, and if you visit the museum at any time, please come over to the workshop and I will show you around.

Kind regards,

Mike Hayton.
Workshop Manager
The Tank Museum
Bovington, Dorset, UK
BH20 6JG

So, after all these years, my wheel is going on the mighty JagdPanther!

I'm absolutely delighted with the out come and the wheel will be cleaned up and put on this mighty Panzer.

Hope fully I'll get some pictures of the wheel on the JagdPanther.

I loved that wheel, but it was time to say goodbye.

Bye, Bye Panther road wheel :wavey:

So the lonely wheel will have friends again.
Maybe they will whisper some war stories in the night :)

Well done.

Well done,very generous of you,rare objects gone to a very good home,
Kind Regards,
Don,

Yes, I'm happy and the fact that the wheel is going on a Panther makes it all the worth while.

To skull181

I was working in the tank museums workshop the other weekend, when John arrived with the wheel and jack in the boot of his car.
They definatly had the whole workshop excited with seeing them, we couldn't beleive the condition they were in, we came to the conclusion that they have probably been kept inside somewhere for most of there lives, and not been left outside as there not rusted enough.

In one of your postings above you mention about hopefully getting some pictures when there fitted, don't worry about that I will definatly take some for you.

If I happen to be the one that gets the task of refurbishing them, I will take some during that aswell, or if I happen to be in the workshop when its being carried out, as I mainly work there at weekends.
its possible the refurb might happen sometime during the week when I am not there so I might not get any.

let me thank you again for your very kind donation to our museum. it is very much appreciated, and hopefully one day we will see you on a visit to the museum ? let me know if you ever decided to come and we will have to meet up, cheers.

from Bazooka Chris

Thanks Chris, I've been to the Tank museum a number of times and enjoyed every visit and every minute I was there.

Please see if you could take some pictures for me, it would be greatly appreciated, I loved that wheel, that's why it's in such a great condition.

I will be in touch for my next visit Chris, no doubt about that :top:

So it goes on a JagdPanther, the story will continue...