What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self sectioned butterfly

Now you mention it Kev,i acquired a trainer at Beltring 4 years ago and it indeedy had a 70B with it.

best

waffy

Do you know what type of 70B fuze it was waff ? (70B, 70B1 or 70B2)
I saw the one my friend had and the fuze although recognisable as a type 70 with the three screw holes on top but it was impossible to tell which type as it was in such poor condition. Its the only time I have seen a type 70 in this type of body, however as you have found one yourself, it shows it wasnt a one off.

regards Kev

I would leave as it is Dave apart from painting the edges of the casing red, just to emphasize it.

Finally got the body done. The outside is cleaned and varnished with mat varnish. Broken edges are in red. Inside is yellow - I did a light colour so that the fuze would show up better.
With the fuze I sectioned the protective cover to the spring on the top and found the spring was broken, happy with it though, it adds character. Cut edges are painted red (need tidying up).
Its getting there.....slowly.
Dave.

IMG_4494.jpgIMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4505.jpgIMG_4504.jpgIMG_4503.jpgIMG_4506.jpg

Last edited:
Some final pictures.
When you consider how it started I'm happy with it.
I deliberately chose relic wings that had suffered to fit with the overall condition of the item.
Another one preserved for future generations.
Dave.

IMG_4512.jpgIMG_4513.jpgIMG_4514.jpgIMG_4516.jpgIMG_4518.jpgIMG_4519.jpgIMG_4520.jpg

Last edited:
What a fantastic sympathetic restoration. Its a prime example of ...less is more, the result a very displayable piece with a lot of character.
You ought to be very proud of the result, and whats more I bet you enjoyed every minute of time spent on it.
well done
regards Kev

I just wanted to add that Peters suggestion of highlighting the torn edges of the body in red paint works extremely well. :top:

Last edited:
Thanks Kev, yes you're right I really enjoyed doing this one. Its strange isn't it, I have a few really nice SD 2's in great condition but this one is now one of my favourites! Its had a hard life.

Dave.

What a fantastic sympathetic restoration. Its a prime example of ...less is more, the result a very displayable piece with a lot of character.
You ought to be very proud of the result, and whats more I bet you enjoyed every minute of time spent on it.
well done
regards Kev

I just wanted to add that Peters suggestion of highlighting the torn edges of the body in red paint works extremely well. :top:

I think so as well, also, the yellow insides of the body make the edges stand out even more! :idea:

I'm still trying to work out how you got the "wings" to stand up :hmmmm2: my ones just collapse...:hmmmm:

I've got to be honest, this one is definitely my favourite Dave, a "work of art" as they say :biggrin:

Dave . Just noticed this thread . Marvelous piece of work . Do you realise that could be a serious contender for this years Turner prize ? It would certainly beat a pickled shark head or a set of soiled bed sheets . You could call it something like "The Ephemeral Nature of Lepidoptera " . It's a slam dunk for the title !

I'm still trying to work out how you got the "wings" to stand up :hmmmm2: my ones just collapse...:hmmmm:

I've got to be honest, this one is definitely my favourite Dave, a "work of art" as they say :biggrin:

Thanks Pete. Real arming wires are more rigid (top in photo), the reproductions use the wrong wire which is multi stranded and bends (bottom in photo).
This one has a real but relic one.
Dave.

IMG_4524.jpg

Dave . Just noticed this thread . Marvelous piece of work . Do you realise that could be a serious contender for this years Turner prize ? It would certainly beat a pickled shark head or a set of soiled bed sheets . You could call it something like "The Ephemeral Nature of Lepidoptera " . It's a slam dunk for the title !
Thanks Mike, Mmm.... a work of art, I may just have to put it back the way it was :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Dave.

What a great piece of restoration, sympathetic that looks great and is right to the point of what it is.
well done Dave,

Kind Regards Nick

Thanks Nick, I really enjoyed doing this one, its nice to make a pile of rust look good.
Dave.

I'm new here so my opinion wont mean much to you long timers but I know great when I see it. That butterfly is awesome. I love it.

I'm new here so my opinion wont mean much to you long timers but I know great when I see it. That butterfly is awesome. I love it.

Thanks History and welcome to the forum.
Opinions are always valued from all.
Dave.