What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37MM- is it WWI or WWII vintage?

Tietrack

093.jpg092.jpg091.jpg I'm new at this so I'm wondering if this projectile is of WWI or WWII vintage and maybe what nationality. There are no markings on it. Its 5 1/2 inches long. The base plug/fuze is missing. The dark part of the projectile has machine marks while the tip area is polished. It appears like its two parts but it's one piece as far as I can tell. The hollow part inside ends where the polished area begins. Hope my description is OK. Any info appreciated.

Yes, the base is treaded. I don't think its home made. The driving band looks like a factory job and why bother to put treads in the base?

It is long for a 37mm. The Italian 37-40 is about that length, but the rotating band is not right, but could have been turned down. The thickness of the wall is right, but there is no crimp ring. The profile is like that of a US projectile, and the band wide is likewise. If it is real, my guess is WW1. I have little knowlege of most WW2 rounds.

37mmprojectiel.jpgFound this pic on the International Ammunition Forum, posted way back in 2009 by someone who wanted to know what it was. No one knew what it was. Looks almost exactly like mine with about the same dimensions. .........Anyway, On mine the driving band is not flat; it's raised 1/16 inch out from the projectile body and a very slight bit curved with the highest part in the center. My camera isn't sharp enough to show the small rise/curve. It doesn't have the crimp ring as mentioned by Highlandotter which is kind of odd. Any other suggestions/guesses welcome. It's heavy, It weighs 1 lbs 7 ozs.

Last edited:
now it looks better! My only explanation for the brass or bronze ogive would be that it is a dummy shell with this part made from soft metal to prevent damages on the gun's chamber.

Last edited:
I have one of these lying around somewhere and have seen another, so definitely not home made. The tip is not soft brass but probably bronze. My feeling is that it is WW1 or earlier.

D

I agree with Alpini. Now whose and how old? The long 37mm I can think of are Italian, Austrian, Swedish and the 38mm Nordenfelt. But this is not like any of these except for length. There appear to be 3-4 floating around, so they may not be really rare considering they are practice dummies.Nice to find one with a case.

With that band style it is definitely American made, the key is what will screw into the base, you have to try a number of different base plug types to see which one. If one fits then it is likely of the same period or manufacturer. No groove around the base points towards an export and not U.S. issue. So it may be part of some contract to an unknown country and it is likely pre 1918. The longer U.S. projectiles tend to be for subcaliber practice use and this could be along those lines to. It is unlikely to use a 37x95 case and the safest bet is a generic unmarked 37x136 case if you want to put it in something. The answer if ever found could be what we least expect, it usually is. I suppose I should have one just to drive me crazy :tinysmile_hmm_t: if it's not too late.

Last edited:
That Answer is; It is a form of the American Army 1.7 Pr subcalibre projectile. It is the same weight and length. It is likely not for U.S. consumption, but made in the U.S. by who knows who- some firm working the aftermarket and overseas sales and it could be subcontracted out which would account for no markings also. It would have been base fuzed, the case could have varied according to the buyers requirements but these came in two lengths for the U.S. Army, a short one for howitzers and a 37x145 for regular use. Used with a barrel assembly that fit inside the regular barrel. With a bronze nose it is not an inexpensive thing. WW1 era, could be just before, during or just after, but not likely after as every one was cutting back. The size is to hold a decent amount of black powder to make a visible smoke cloud for spotting. With filling and a base the weight would likely go up to 1.7 pounds, at 1 pound 7 ounces it is a bit under as you have it now.

Now I really do have to get one :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Last edited:
1.7 Pdr. comparison

By way of comparing these I submit this. The U.S. Army 1.7 Pdr. is a rather odd size and was only thought to be used by them for land subcalibre practice. This example has all the signs of an export type (poor finish and no groove, all economy features, or rather lack of.), by whom, for whom and when is unknown. Wether adopted or trialed unknown. But it is distinctly related to the U.S. Service projectile in size and basic design to the MKll type. The bronze tip is a bit sharper and the band sits slightly higher, but over all it is pretty much the same thing. It weighs without the base and filling 1lb 7ounces, so would likely be brought up to weight with base and fill.

Attachments

• attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 37
It's always a guess without actual documentation, but it's too close to these not to be related in some way if even by the idea that some firm took from the service kind and sort of improved or even patented the bronze nose - who can say.