What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ElAZ 28A fuze

F0031

A beautiful ElAZ 28A from Ben at Stoneleigh.

When I took it apart I found the switchblock cavity was full of water. Moreover it was under pressure, so much that a thin jet of water squirted out as the two halves started to come apart. But as you see, the innards are perfect. Not a shred of rust. Any explanations?

T.

Attachments

• German bomb fuze 28A 2a.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2a.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 100
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2g.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2g.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 85
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2h.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2h.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2i.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2i.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 80
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2j.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2j.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 75
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2l.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2l.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 81
  • German bomb fuze 28A 2n.jpg
    German bomb fuze 28A 2n.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 78
Wasn't part of the inerting process to fill under pressure with fluid (sugar/salt water type)?
Maybe this is one example.

cheers
Bob

A significant amount of collectors' ordnance still comes from items which were "destroyed" at the end of the war by dumping into deep lakes and other bodies of water. With the demand and cost of items as high as it is, the temptation is irresistable for many and illegal or not, people will dive to recover the relics. The cold water slows corosion and in many cases protected the paint and markings - at least for a while after recovery. As far as the pressure - temperature differences, pressure differences when brought to the surface, expansion/contraction - all could possibly play a role.

I have no idea about the water.........but the fuze is in remarkable condition. Well done to you and Ben for finding such a great example!!
all the best Kev

A significant amount of collectors' ordnance still comes from items which were "destroyed" at the end of the war by dumping into deep lakes and other bodies of water. With the demand and cost of items as high as it is, the temptation is irresistable for many and illegal or not, people will dive to recover the relics. The cold water slows corosion and in many cases protected the paint and markings - at least for a while after recovery. As far as the pressure - temperature differences, pressure differences when brought to the surface, expansion/contraction - all could possibly play a role.

This thought crossed my mind too. In the anaerobic sludge at the bottom of a deep lake, pure unoxygenated water can seep through minute holes under pressure and effectively preserve all the metal parts inside. And when the thing is dredged up, the pressure built up over 70 years could take another 70 years to equalize - unless someone attacks it with a screwdriver.

I did read somewhere of a T-34 recovered from a lake in Latvia and driven away after a quick wash-down and refuelling. Perfectly preserved in the sludge.

T.

I wonder if it still works? Now where did I leave that 150 volt battery? ...

Last edited: