Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 733 Posts

.50 Spotter Round

Can anyone tell me anything about this .50 spotter round i have ,, its internal construction is different to those i have documentation on. It has a large AP core within a copper jacket with the flash composition in a cavity in the tip and the tracer is within the AP core .
    The cartridge headstamp is L C 7 8

thanks for looking
    allan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Site administrator. damned if i do..damned if i dont

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Hello Allan, I'm guessing it's a later version of the M48 rather than the M48A1, for which I have a poor quality diagram and it's not exactly like your cutaway. The cap and attached flash tube look to be the same as used in the M48A1 spotter tracer round. I'm only aware of an M48A2 after that but my info is now 20 years old, so perhaps there is an M48A3 or later version too. I'm guessing then that your cutaway is an M48A2 or later version.
    Any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by eod personel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AMMOTECHXT For This Useful Post:

spotter (1st February 2013)

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks
    I think the answer is more simple than that. I think it is an M48A1 case with flash tube into which someone has stuck an M20 APIT proj. from a .50 Browning.

Regards
    TonyE

Edit: I should have looked at the second picture with the red and yellow tip so ignore the comment about an M20 proj! Mea culpa.
    Last edited by TonyE; 1st February 2013 at 06:40 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyE For This Useful Post:

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies,, your answers set me off searching through different documents i have and i have found it
    Its a .50 Observing round bullet.
    The document i have is quite old 2004 but it shows two types of bullet, both consist of a core ,incendiary composition, and tracer.
    They are the L11 and L13 the differences are .The L11 has a steel core and the L13 has a core made from heavy tungsten and nickel/copper alloy with a slightly deeper cavity for the tracer composition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spotter For This Useful Post:

rcaf53 (4th February 2013)

Thanks
    Just thought I would add a couple of points. I have a 20 round mag for the 50 spotter rifle, no gun of course.

A gunsmith friend of mine built a "short" bolt action reciver to handle the 50 spotter, then necked it down to 338. He managed to get 3800 ft/sec on a 250 gr bullet. It should be noted that the flash to is very critical. He loaded a round converted from a 50 BMG (and hence NO flash tube) and got 4300 ft/sec. Unfortunately the case was destroyed, complete head separation and the barrel had to be removed to open the bolt.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks
    Alan - Either way you have a mismatched bullet and case. The L11A1, L11A2 and the L13A1 were British loads for the .50 Browning ranging gun, not the .50 Spotter, especially in American Lake City cases. I should have looked at your second picture which shows the red and yellow tip which identifies it!

Kynoch made a lot of experimental .50 Spotter rounds for the BAT but in the end none of them entered service and we used American supplied M48 rounds. A couple of these Kynoch experimental rounds had a red and yellow bullet tip but the bullets were longer than the one you have,

The L11A1 and A2 were the ranging rounds for the 105mm tank gun and the L13A1 for the 120mm.

Regards
    TonyE
    Last edited by TonyE; 1st February 2013 at 06:41 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyE For This Useful Post:

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Tony - I noted from your previous post that it was in the wrong cartridge, i may at a later date failing finding the correct cartridge put it into one of my spare .50 cartridges just to show how it should look but for now its sat quite happily without a cartridge in the cabinet, The tip had small remnants of the original yellow and red which i copied onto the bullet
    Last edited by spotter; 1st February 2013 at 07:07 PM.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Thanks
    You should have no problem about finding an L11A1 or A2 headstamped case, Alan. There were plenty around at Beltring last year.

Cheers
    TonyE

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Allan

I have a .50 BMG case - K 99 L11A2, with red primer annulus if that would suit.

Cheers

Switch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to switch For This Useful Post:

spotter (2nd February 2013)

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Switch,
    that would be great thank you

allan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast