What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 20x138 round.

Bullet Mick

Hello i picked these two up from Donny market same day different stalls thinking they were German. Got home and started to do a bit of research they are both stamped BPD 39. This i have found is the Italian manufacturer Bombrini,Parodi+Delfino and they were used with the Breda 35 and Scotti guns which im happy with as i have no other Italian stuff. However i cannot find any info on the projectile coulors there is plenty for German rounds but not Italian. It is red, black, pale blue and grey if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be a great help. Cheers Mick.

PICT2309.jpgPICT2308.jpg

Mick . Those are the correct colours . You can always tell the Italian rounds as they normally have brass fuzes .

Siegfried thanks for the quick response. With the fuze removed you can see all the way through the projectile so am i right in saying it is an explosive incendiary projectile with self destruction feature. Cheers Mick.

Thanks for that Tony im a bit of a slow typer and was replying to Siegfried whilst you were posting. Ive had a look and Fert has posted a pic of one the same which is labeled as a HETSD Mod 35. Call me a pudding but does HETSD stand for High Explosive Tracer Self Destruct. Cheers Mick.

The Italians also used aluminum fuzes and early German ones were brass fuzed. So it is not adviseable to use just one feature for an ID (of any ammo item).