What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHo produces 106mm RR rounds

weberoed

Ordnance approved
Can any one tell me who is producing 106mm HEAT and HEP (HESH) rounds these days? I know India and Pakistian is, Belgium was a big producer (not sure if they export that many anymore though).

In doing some help researching ordnance items for a friend I find the 106 recoiless rifle (US M40 and copies) to be all over Northern and Central Africa. That system should be starting to show its age by now but ammuntion for it keeps showing up.

thanks

Mike, maybe it is hard to keep track of who was not makeing those.

I recall these:
Pakistan (POF, still offering these)
Italy (Simmel Difesa, they als still offer the 57mm M18)
Germany (Diehl developed a HE-Frag type)
South Korea (Pongsaan)
Belgium (Mecar)
Iran (Diomil, still offering these)

There must be more (orhad been at least). Certainly there were more users than manufacturers.

WHo woould have a manufacture sysmbol - a triangle with 412 in the middle, yet the box is marked with Belgium nomenclature NR -

Would you have an image of this symbol? Sounds like the hazard classification on crates as they are used in the east and many other regions influenced by.

5.jpgYou can see the triangle and number on the left side of the box, these crates also had the standard orange diamonds with hazard classification on them too. markings on crate are for Belgium 106mm, but the symbol is throwing me, plus I am seeing it on a large number of other crates of munitions, PG7s, mortars, etc

What does it mean then (which hazard) and what are the other hazard class symbols? WHich country as it is shown on crates from many countries I have been going over other crates and do not see any different ones so far. In one soviet marking for crates I found a triange with a 3 in the middle.

So if it is a hazard class any idea what other symbols may be

Why would it be on a different countries ammunition crate and why would it be stamped on the invoice next to the customer column?

Your answer is better then any other I have gotten, and I don't doubt you, I'm just looking for a couple ore pieces to fully confirm it. Now I can start looking in a different direction

Mike thanks

Last edited:
The hazard class is here shown next to the shipping container code which is applied only to ammunition which is to be shipped internationally. There is an own meaning to these as they do indicate the manufacturer of the crate/packing material. Next to it is that triangle.
The shipping document and the crate have the triangle because it is ordered this way be the customer.
As I just checked I have to say that most if not all the "triangle + 412" marks were observed in Libya (also on 106mm from Belgium I think). The triangle was observed in Libya on many different crates from many different countries ranging from Belgium to North Korea.
I can not say what the hazard class system is in Libya so no ID of the 412 code but if we compare it to what we use in the west it might be something like "UN 1.4" or so.