What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flares

adam325i

Hi guys
im a newbe so bare with me. i recently bought a WW1 Webley flare pistol and was interested in the flares used at that time, i was looking for a flare case to display with it, i found and bought a brass flare case marked with K LTD 27 does anyone know when this was used and if it is period correct for my pistol. thanks for any info.

Is the flare pistol deactivated?

If not then it is illegal to own without the correct firearms certificate.

The case was made by Kynoch Ltd in Birmingham in 1927

I have been told that these cases are not actually flares. They were supposedly used to ship powder to a country (possibly in South America) that banned the import of loose powder.

Here is a photo posted by "Armourer" on the IAA forum of some 1940s dated 1" Flares. These are very similar in design to the WW1 era flare rounds.

flare.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and picture Falcon. Are they made from cardboard? Does anyone do inert flares like this?

Yes they are made from cardboard.

WW1 Era new cases that were never loaded are avaiable. They all have the headstamp "J.P&S V". A batch must have been suplused out from storage at some time.

If someone has one of these, would they be able to post a photo? I don't actually have one.

Hi Falcon, the 1" case you describe is of the Very type and is not as per the cases above, They had a card liner but are made of brass with the tube crimped to the base. I sold my last one for 41 quid,so not common at all. Pic of Headstamp in my album 2pdr and brit stuff. Cheers Tig.