What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BRITISH ANTI AIRCRAFT SHELL WW2 - Self destruction

Hello members, I am not a new member myself but only occasionally post here athough I log in from time to time looking for information.

During WW2, the RAF had a bomber training element named 'Bullseye'. Sorties were flown with simulated bombing against UK city targets.

A colleague has found a record that sometimes during these raids the AA defences were permitted to open fire using 'self destroying shells'

As far as I know all heavy calibre AA shell was fuzed for self destruct so, in this case, were the projectiles non standard but frangible yet strong enough to wihstand firing stresses or another type ?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Presumably the flying altitude was agreed and fuzes set to burst 1000 ft of something below, when the aircraft were in the agrred engagement envelope. Call it battle innoculation for pilots.