What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explosive Coupling

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Anyone know what this is for ? It's made of bronze & is stamped AM1859-1 & RN MARK 1 . I'm assuming that an AM code is Air Ministry & the RN is Navy ? It has a paper label stating "British Naval Explosive Coupling Mk 1" . Thanks !

mvc-060s.jpg

Just bumping this thread as I'm sure someone must know what an explosive coupling is ! Thanks all .

Just bumping this thread as I'm sure someone must know what an explosive coupling is ! Thanks all .

I really have no idea on this one, but assume an explosive coupling to mean that it could separate with a small explosive charge??
So being made of bronze could it be something to do with moored mines?? (when they are set)

sorry I really dont know, just airing thoughts....

interested to see if anyone has the answer to this one - good luck

regards Kev

Thanks you guys above . I guess I'm going to wander for ever in the realms of uncertainty about what an explosive coupling is . Shame really but that's the way of the world .

Thanks you guys above . I guess I'm going to wander for ever in the realms of uncertainty about what an explosive coupling is . Shame really but that's the way of the world .

Mike you can be sure as soon as you get rid of it someone will tell you exactly what it is and you'll find its worth a fortune.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Does it unscrew?

Dave.

If they are AM and RN part-numbered they could be something to do with Glider tow ropes, which were also used to tow midget submarines across the North Sea to sink the Tirpitz.

Hangarman

Dave . Yes , it unscrews & has a spring & striker inside . I think the clue to this must be the AM code number . Someone must have a list of Air Ministry codes in their possession ! I just had a thought [unusual , I know] , what about a glider tug release ?

Hi Siegfried,

The product code (?) AM1859-1 would provide further clues.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
If they are AM and RN part-numbered they could be something to do with Glider tow ropes, which were also used to tow midget submarines across the North Sea to sink the Tirpitz.

Hangarman

Gary . Just what I was thinking , sort of . We just need to find that AM code ref. now . Thanks to everyone who've helped , I'm most obliged .

Kev. Thanks for that , a most interesting article . I think I've mentioned before that we lived close to Brize Norton after the war & that's where a lot of the gliders were broken up for scrap & the area of our village was knee deep in 'em . Sadly , I can't remember what the towing lines looked like ! I'm going to take some detailed scans of the coupling & send them with a covering letter to the IWM . If I get a reply , I'll post the outcome on this forum . They should , at least , be able to confirm what the AM code stands for . Mike

Dave . Yes , it unscrews & has a spring & striker inside . I think the clue to this must be the AM code number . Someone must have a list of Air Ministry codes in their possession ! I just had a thought [unusual , I know] , what about a glider tug release ?

Should you have an idea of the functionning of this striker and spring ? Is it a cocked striker and, if yes, how can it be released ?
What are the dimensions of your coupling ?

Yoda

Yoda . It's 16.2cm x 2.2cm in your measurements . It looks like an inertial system for the striker as there's no means of cocking it . On the label it also says 9mm Blank which , I assume , is the initiator cartridge . The coupling must be activated during a collision of some sort , it's also very heavy for its size . It's strange that none of our EOD members have recognised it , as from the look of it , it would need disposing of if found out of context & possibly still viable . Thanks . Mike.

mvc-074s.jpg

had another thought on this one, could it be anything to do with catapault launching of aircraft?
clutching at straws over this one!!!

Kev

After making some searches, the best I could come up with were some U.S. traing manuals showing various CAD (Cartridge Actuated Devices). There are many diferent types and many different functions including canopy ejection, drogue chute opening, ejection releases etc. Some are for backup release for bombs. A few words from one states "the BRU/14 has a CAD backup release method if the primary method fails. When the CAD is fired, the release linkage frees the weapon/store". A search on "aircraft CAD" brought up quite a few different types of military cartridge actuated devices, including manufacturers of CAD's showing some very similar looking devices. Maybe a search of CAD's will get us closer to an i.d. , but it would be nice if we could just use the codes to determine the exact identity of this item. I may search a little more tomorrow. Shaky.

I also found references that these types of devices were used to release missiles - looking at how the device would function, perhaps the initial thrust of firing the missile would overcome the spring tension and fire the 9mm bank, ensuring that the missile de-tached from the aircraft wing etc.

Cheers
Drew