What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7mm Broadway Trust Company

TonyE

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I was fortunate today to obtain a 7mm Broadway Trust Company recoiless round at the ECRA meeting at Bisley. It is unfortunately both a fired case and projectile, but given the rarity of the round and the weapon that is in some ways more intersting that an unfired one.

These rounds, developed by Sir Dennis Burney in the immediate post WWII period were part of his developments into recoiless technology that included a hand held 20mm rifle and of course the later 3.45 inch anti-tank weapons that led to MOBAT and WOMBAT etc.

The projectiles of these rounds have a very high length to calibre ratio. The projectile in this example wighs 168 grains with a hardened steel core and is I suspect either AP or API. I have other projectiles that weigh 200 and 205 grains that are steel cored and lead cored respectively.

The other case shown is what is believed to be an unfinished 6.5mm Burney prior to perforations being punched or drilled. It is known that he worked on 6.5mm calibre cases before increasing the calibre to 7mm, possibly to fit in with other British 7mm developments at the time for the EM1/EM2 weapons.

Case length is 80mm.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 6.5mm Unfinished BTC.jpg
    6.5mm Unfinished BTC.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 7mm BTC 1.jpg
    7mm BTC 1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 7mm BTC 2.jpg
    7mm BTC 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 7mm BTC Projectiles.jpg
    7mm BTC Projectiles.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 72
Awesome! What is the case length of the finished and perforated case?

Does it have a hs?

This brings back memories. When I was in the Army during the mid 80's one of my jobs was to go round police stations etc collecting small arms ammunition that had been handed in. We then had to sort it into high and low velocity before disposal. I found one of these and not knowing what it was made some enquiries with a certain Mr Herbie Woodend at the Pattern Room. He said he didn't know what it was but could he have it and being the nice chap I am I asked my boss and yes he was given it!!!!

I think you were sold a pup, but that is typical of the way the Irishman operated!

Of course he knew what it was. I can personally vouch that he had a couple of different examples in his own collection from at least the 1970s. Also, all the paperwork on the Burney developments was in the Pattern Room Library as well!

Never mind, he was a great friend.

Cheers
TonyE

It is interesting that a recoilless round would have an armor piercing bullet. What was the velocity supposed to be for the round?