What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Cannon Shells

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Anyone know what these are ? I have absolutely no info as to calibre or markings , just a picture sent to me . Thanks !

401-2013222153442_original.jpg

They look like 20mm Oerlikon for the 128mm and 139mm cases,though the ones in the middle could also be for the 102mm case.
Or i could be totally wrong! :neutral:

Mike - I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but as I have one on my desk in front of me I thought I would take a few pictures for you to assist in determining what they are. Hope this is helpful. MarcusP1030603.jpgP1030604.jpgP1030608.jpgP1030610.jpgP1030614.jpg

Mike are they definitely 30mm? It looks a lot like the one Marcus shows but I can't see any ridge between the aluminium cap and the body of the projectile.

Marcus the projectile on yours looks a lot like the Rarden 30mm L18A1 practice, characterised by the slight ridge between the body and the aluminium top that is wedge fitted into the projectile.

Dave.

Dave. I've no idea what the calibre is . I suppose I'll just have to wait until I get the wretched things to find out.

Dave - I have taken a detailed look at Mike's rounds and they are the same as mine, if you look at my picture #4 you will note that there isn't a ridge it is completely smooth in the picture and to the touch. I think it is just discoloured metal. I enlarged Mike's picture as far as I could and I think it is exactly the same on his. The dimension of the round - Diameter across the widest part of the projectile is 40mm & 37mm not including the rifling band. The diameter across the base of the case is 52mm. I was under the impression it was a Russian Aircraft Cannon Round but am just as eager as Mike to know exactly what it is. Hope this helps a little in determining what this is. Marcus

Would have said the same as you Dave & EOD 30x170. Be interested to hear what these turn out to be. Don't think they are Russian though.