What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ID on these 155's, the letters stamped in the nose are throwing me

Going to have a look at my DM made 155 projectiles in the morning but I think they may be Quality/inspection or operators stamps for the checking of the fuze thread? Are they all from the same manufacturer & lot no?
The main body should be stencilled with caliber, type, manufacturer etc & I think US made ones still have stampings on the drive band?
As I said I`ll check my 155`s in the am!

I know my ordnance, should have been clearer - I'm trying to find the manufacture and was hoping these markings might help. the projectiles are 155mm M110 bursting chemcial, no stenciling and have not been able to find a clear photo of projo Lot number on the body.

Have checked my DM made ones. No stamping like yours on any of mine. Mine are all BE Smoke projs with paint & stencilling intact so ID is easy!!
As in previous post I think these letters may be specific to an operator/Inspector at the manufacturer?

The photos look like UNSCOM pix from Al Muthana. While much of what was seen at those locations was in the local script, many markings were also in English. The markings shown are irregular and not of the quality you would expect to be part of the production process, so were likely done post manufacture.

While they could be inspection stamps as suggested above, four stamps seems excessive for inspection. Al Muthan was an R&D facility as well as a filling plant, if we continue with the idea that they are from there or a sister facility it would seem logical that the markings could be assembly marks for test rounds.

I've got several US test pieces where every possible component is marked with the same ID number/code for that munition, on some pieces marked maybe 20 times. With this process post blast you can find the pieces and determine what parts from what rounds ended up where. After the test the data junkies can then map the location of every scrap and determine what went good and what went bad. For submunitions we did it by color codes. Number one carries orange, number two has yellow, etc. It is fairly typical for test areas to mark munitions in this manner. This would be my best guess based on the info given.

thanks Jeff makes sense, plus the multiple letters why or a QC stand point. these folders came from a folder I just got on UN operations in Iraq - 2002-4. Problem is so many photos and no labeling or captions. There is still the nagging issue of why they show HE rounds being drilled and sampled for chemcial. No literature on that subject but I did find where the Iraqi used old M 110 WP and re filled them with HE, doesn't make sense nor does it say if the bodies were previously empty ot they removed the WP (which would present more problems for them).

thanks