What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannon Ball

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. This is not an area of collecting I know much about. I brought this ball because it apparently dates from the New Zealand Wars (c. 1860), which is a time period of interest to me. I've not yet taken possession, so can't give any accurate measurements at this time. Anybody able to tell me a little about what it is likely to be from? Cheers

Attachments

• cannon ball.jpg
    cannon ball.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 29
Hello Fragman;
I picked up a cannon ball round sometime back when they were moving a US Civil War cemetery. The rounds were in the concrete wall around the center. I have been looking for a fuse for it for years. I was told it is a 32 pounder. I thought it might be a mortar round. It is 81/4 inches in diameter and weighs 75 lbs. It is hollow with a threaded hole for the fuse. The shoulder of the fuse is about 8.82 mm deep, and a diameter of about 33.26 mm. The threaded hole is about 20.32 mm in diameter, and the threads go in about 15.92 mm. It also has three marks in it. Vaughn

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 26