What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Pretoria' 1pdr pom pom fuze

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
being a very infrequent BOCN user these days, I may have missed a similar posting but whilst sorting out some bits and bobs, i noticed that an otherwise British VSM 1pdr pom pom (VSM on shell, no headstamp to case) had what looks like 'ELFOS, PRETORIA' stamped in minute letters on the top of the fuze. Does anyone know if this means the fuze was made in South Africa? If so, were shell and case components shipped out empty and a locally made fuze added at the filling station?

I've tried to take photos but my camera isn't up to macro pics. The attached might help a little.

thanks in anticipation

Daveelfos.jpgfz.jpg

Hi Dave,
I had one in a different projectile, it is Delphos Pretoria I seem to remember and it is a SA made round, the only one they did make during the Boer War. If you have a look at the sticky threads in Projectiles Gordon has some pictures of one. My PC has gone bang so I have no access to my pictures to post any, sorry. Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
I have a similar fuze but in a single band shell in a German case. think there are posts on it before.

thanks to Weasel and 2pounder, yours were both German so I wonder if that means the fuze on mine has been swapped at some stage or were they using anything they could get hold of and exchanging the fuzes for those of their own manufacture?