What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

weekend haul.......

sgtlynn

Just back from a show and had a successful weekend, found a bunch of nice goodies for the collection.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 92
Very nice haul Darryl.

The special matches for soldering wires together were used by the SOE but they were Army and Admiralty stores, the nomenclature was something like "Sleeves, Jointing, Self Soldering No 3" and they were made by Bryant and May in the UK.

Good to see a pair of British made time pencils in Canada rather than US made ones.

There was an increase in production of switches in the 1950s (Cold War preparations) and RM, which I think is Reid Manufacturing, manufactured large numbers in the UK. Incidently they also manufactured German pattern switches.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics of a great number of items.

I can't get my head round this SOE soldering match thing. I've never seen one before. Has anyone got any more info about them?

PB,

They are copper tubes containing solder. You'll see on the outside that there is a dark brown substance which has a pink spot thereon. One takes two pieces of electrical cable (normally field telephone cable) with the ends bared and inserts one in either end of the tube. You the strike the pink spot (which in reality is a giant match head) on the striker surface of the box. This ignites and in turn ignites the brown pyrotechnic compound, which burns slowly and melts the solder joining the two pieces of cable.

TimG

P.S. As far as I'm aware, they were originally intended as a Signal's store for joining field telephone cables such as D8/D10

Last edited:
If I may ask which show were you at? I usually dont make it to many shows around here mainly because Im unaware of there existence until after.

Nice Haul Darryl.... looks like you beat me to a few things :D

If I may ask which show were you at? I usually dont make it to many shows around here mainly because Im unaware of there existence until after.

The Show was in Calgary, AB. Its now the biggest militaria show in Canada (supposedly).

It may be a 36 hr. drive from Toronto to Calgary but 700 tables of Militaria!

That screams... Road Trip 2014!

Cheers,
Brad

PB,

They are copper tubes containing solder. You'll see on the outside that there is a dark brown substance which has a pink spot thereon. One takes two pieces of electrical cable (normally field telephone cable) with the ends bared and inserts one in either end of the tube. You the strike the pink spot (which in reality is a giant match head) on the striker surface of the box. This ignites and in turn ignites the brown pyrotechnic compound, which burns slowly and melts the solder joining the two pieces of cable.

TimG

P.S. As far as I'm aware, they were originally intended as a Signal's store for joining field telephone cables such as D8/D10

Thanks for the info. Cleared that one up for me. learn something every day and all that.
Rob