What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AIM-9B & AIM-9J Sidewinder

Great pics and info in this thread.
Regarding the Russian copy Sidewinders, i have read that the sections and connections were inter changeable with US versions,and a captured Russian example was mixed and matched wirth US items ,and shown to still function.
Must be some flattery in such thorough reverse engineering!

Amazing post!
Where did you find all of the cut away pictures?

user-offline.png

Last edited:
The sectioned photos of different models of the Sidewinder GCUs were taken by a visitor to the China Lake Naval Weapons Center Museum in California, where the Sidewinder was invented.

I would love to add this C type GCU to my collection. Must be an absolutely rare piece
Regards, DJH

Hallo pzgr40,
I just read through your nice text again. It will take many readings to digest that huge amount of information about which I know near to nothing. I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full. You name HBX-1 as the filler for the warhead and name as one of its components "Potassium chloride". Sodium chloride(table salt) and Potassium chloride I only know as cooling components for special cool coal mine explosives, so I checked the net. In a NOL publication I found the following composition of HBX-1: RDX 40 / TNT 38,1 / Al 17,1 / Wax 4,8
With respectful regards,
Bellifortis.

Yeah, been trying to find anyting related to air to ground. But guess what the AA-2, soviet version of the AIM9 - in the description it says these can be used for air to ground. But right kind of expensive at what 300,000 grand plus/minus a piece

There is one recorded use of an air to ground use of an AIM-9 fired from an RAF Jaguar against a large tanker type truck in the first Gulf War.
Locked onto the exhaust by all accounts and as all cannon and other air to ground ordanance was used up the pilot loosed off a Sidewinder and blew up the tanker.

Great, now I have to re-find that article on the truck kill again. I forgot all about it.

There is one recorded use of an air to ground use of an AIM-9 fired from an RAF Jaguar against a large tanker type truck in the first Gulf War.
Locked onto the exhaust by all accounts and as all cannon and other air to ground ordanance was used up the pilot loosed off a Sidewinder and blew up the tanker.

That could be well possible with the newer types of sidewinder that have a more accurate temperature discrimination capability in heat signature, even against a hot desert background. As where the AIM-9B could be mislead by sunlight reflecting on clouds, and false background heat signatures when the chased plane dove towards the ground, the newer missiles will be able to pick up and keep a target locked with in a much smaller temperature difference range without being mislead. At night (with the desert floor cooled down drasticly) the difference in temperature between exhaust and background is even more imminent.
On the other hand, it could also have been a Lucky shot, using a sidewinder as a "sneb" or 2,75 inch FFAR rocket. One should consider that upon lauch the steering fins "freeze" in the zero degrees setting for a second. Using a sidewinder at the same range as the Sneb or the 2,75" FFAR it will lead to the same result, as the Sidewinder trajectory will be quite straight for about the first mile.
I am not shure however if a sidewinder can be fired without being locked.

Regards, DJH

The Sidewinder must first have a lock on, to the target that is controlled by the pilot. Once he has lock on the following takes place;
Pre arming; Themissile receives warmup voltage through its umbilical cable while attached tothe aircraft launcher. When the firing mechanism in the aircraft is actuatedby the pilot (target lock on), an electric pulse through the umbilical cable initiates thegas generator in the GCS, or thermal battery, providing power to control themissile. As missile power assumes control, a relay is closed. This allows aircraftpower to be supplied through the relay to the firing contact buttons on theforward launching lug. Electrical power through the forward button initiates thethermal battery in the TDD and, through the aft button, initiates the rocket motorigniter. As the missile leaves the launcher, the umbilical cable and block breakoff. This removes a short from the GCS, allowing voltage to go to the contactfuze/S&A device.

Now each model of the Sidewinder is slightly different so the above is not true with say the most modern models. But they all must have lock on, that is controlled by the pilot to then activates the missile fuze, and then the pilot must send another command to fire the missile, which completes the arming and guidance sequence. A look in a couple USAF TO's on the missile also says the missile can not be fired without lock on. Though there have been incidents where the missile fired by accident due to EMR or static, but that was years ago.

The same USAF TO talks about heat signatures, gets complicated but basically the missile does not see lower heat signature like a car motor or a tank engine. The heat from an aircraft engine is a much high heat, and when IR decoys are deployed they are a greater heat source then the aircraft - so the missile can be diverted to them.

The Sidewinder range is classified, but in two of the accidental firings they were reported to have gone close to 1 mile and half, and in pretty much a straight line. This straight line was because of the ballistic of the missile and since no firing command was given to the fuze or the missile motor, non of the hot gas generators could function to control the vanes/fins. Basically they flew just like a 2.75" rocket, but because the missile motor was so much stronger then a 2.75 that accounted for the straight flight.

I have searched very hard to find the story about a sidewinder hitting a tank, but have not located it. So if anyone has a link to that story please post it. I'll forward it to the USAF munitions guys I know for comment.

The truck kill was made by Lt. Randy Cunningham "Duke" (Pilot) and LtJG Willie Driscoll (RIO) with a AIM-9.

Happened on May 8, 1972 after engagement with Mig-17. F-4J, A/c No NG 112 BuNo 157267. This occurred during their second MiG kill. Witnessed by Brian Grant and his RIO Jerry Sullivan. These two were the "Duke's" wing man during this action.

V6, CVW-9, CVA-64

No more info on this other than the narrative.

Source for above mentioned truck kill is from: ...And Kill Migs By Lou Drendel. Publish date is 1984 by Squadron Signal Publications. ISBN 0-89747-056-7 Page 64

The following comments are based upon personal experience of firing Sidewinders. The early models such as the Aim-9B used an uncooled detector material Lead Sulphide, this tracked hot metal and was hard to get an acquisition with, you had to be virtually directly behind the target and looking up the jet pipes. The Aim-9G has Nitrogen cooling for the detector in the missile seeker head and this makes it far more sensitive and increases the acquisition envelope by about 4 fold, but still confined to behind the target. The Aim-9L introduced a different material in the seeker head that was also cooled and a significant gain in performance was realised. The Aim-9L tracks the gas in the exhaust plume and so has an all aspect capability for the first time, you can fire it from head-on. This also required a change to the fuze to a far more advanced design that could detect the direction of approach and initiate the warhead at different time, delaying if closing from behind or instantaneous if approaching from head-on. This was the weapon used in the Falkland War by the RAF and RN Harriers. You can fire a Sidewinder without a lock and the seeker will move around randomly within dome with the missile flying straight. During flight it can find an IR target and then will track and potentially guide but the launching pilot has no control over what it tracks, which can be frightening for all in the vicinity!

image.jpgCouple of photos of an umbilical for the Sidewinder Aim-9L, always a prized souvenir after a firing! This connects the missile to the launcher rail and remains with the aircraft after firing. You can see the damage to the connecting pins as the missile powers forward. On the round aircraft connector you can see the silver channel for Nitrogen cooling gas to be fed to the seeker-head. The RAF used the same system as the USN in that cooling gas was housed in the launch rail rather than in the missile itself. The crew had to check the contents of these bottles, gauge like on a fire-extinguisher, during your walk round checks before each flight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 24