What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 75 mm case - Cockerill and FN experiment?

H

Hoeksel

I recently acquired a Belgium brass case that I knew existed. It measures 75x230 and all are typically stamped "75 S.CM" dated (19)39 and "COCKERILL - FN" (mine also has a "3" possibly indicating LOT). All cases I know have a dummy primer. I cannot find any information explaining the existance of this case. A collector friend has the theory it might be a demo mockup (hence the dummy primer) for an experimental tank. Cockerill is an arms manufacturer while FN is also ammunition manufacturer.

Anybody any ideas? All cases are 1939 so it must be from just before the war.

Attachments

• 20130429_142832.jpg
    20130429_142832.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20130429_142858.jpg
    20130429_142858.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
Today I found a second case, but with different dimensions. It does not look cut down, dimensions match the Schneider 7,5 cm Mle1919 (75x190R90). It hase a different manufacturer (French Schneider) and is from 1938. Same plug as the case shown before....anybody has got a clue what this is?

Attachments

• 75x190 ScBx.jpg
    75x190 ScBx.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 84
Something I have always thought, and now I feel even stronger about it. Is this for the Belgium 76 mm FRC mortar (FRC = Fonderie Royale de Canons)? There are several reasons why I think this. First, I have never seen a Belgium 76 mm case < 1940, also not seen in some very big collections. On top of that, nobody seems to know for what gun this 75 SCM case is. The ones I have seen are all 1938/1939. Interesting is that I do not know any Belgium cases mentioning Cockerill, except this type. Secondly, this is the only type of case that has the strange zinc plug in the primer hole.

Now why do I believe this even stronger? Since I learned that the 76 mm FRC is not a normal field gun but a mortar. So I start to think that the "M" in "SCM" could mean "Mortier =mortar". The Belgiums typically do have a single letter abbreviation for the gun type. The "S" typically indicates "Schneider" and the "C" could indicate "Cockerill" or "Court = short".

The fact that I have 2 different case lengths, that look both original and not cut, could indicate different powder charges for a mortar. A friend suggested the case is vey large for a mortar, I have to agree with that.

Summarized, I would love to see an image or manual of the 76 mm FRC mortar including the ammunition.

The Belgian 76mm FRC mortar did not use cases! The propellant is placed in the bottom of the projectile (it's almost identical as the german 7,6cm LMW).

greetz
Krt

Last edited:
Hi Krt, thanks for that useful information. Can I ask how you know, do you have some reference? There is not much I have foundabout this weapon or it's ammunition till now.

While searching I also found about another Belgium used Schneider mortar (75 T, T for tranchee = trench), but this is a WW1 trench mortar. As for my explanation about the letters "S CM" I am pretty sure about the typical Belgium/French nomenclature that it stands for "Schneider Court Mortier" = "Schneider Short Mortar". The issue I have with this is mortar, since we have a shell case. The Germans also had a WW2 mortar with shell case, but this was a very short case. This case is very large for a mortar charge.

I checked my shell case references and I found out an almost same case size exists dated 1922, made by Schneider. The case in this thread is 75x230R90, the 1922 dated case is 75x229R90. It could indicate, although the Belgium cases I know are all dated 1938-1939, the weapon is much older. I will look further.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the C, it could also mean "Casemate". Still clueless.

Bump. I recently found the same dummy primer type, in Paraguay. Maybe there is a link?