What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

66mm Law.

Bullet Mick

Hello ive been after one of these for a while and managed to pick this one up. Its missing the strap looks like someone has cut it off but i can live with that. Ive identified it to be a Raufoss made one and all the information on it is english however it is not marked up L1a1. I was wondering if all British issued ones had to have the L1 marking. It has an number 8 embossed on it between the trigger and the safe/arm lever and also a H stamped on the rear tube ring that the firing mechanism is mounted on. It also has DRILL in faint marker pen written on the tube which may suggest at some point it has been used for training. Any help on this would be great. I am now in the market for a rocket to display with it if anyone can point me in the right direction, donations preferred lol. Cheers Mick.

PICT2376.jpgPICT2373.jpgPICT2375.jpgPICT2374.jpg

Hi Mick,
not my subject but when we first started using Swiss Raufoss SAA,none of it had L numbers marked on it until about a year into the contract,so possibly you have an early example of the contract for the 66?

Tony

I think you will find Raufoss was established in 1896....their Swiss plant was founded in 2002....so some time after the lower cretaceous period would be a good guess :wink:

Hi Mick,
sorry I wouldn't have the slightest idea,as I said earlier rockets,bombs and stuff are not my subject...it was just a suggestion of possible reason why your law didn't have the L number marked on it...if indeed your example ever saw service with the UK,

Cheers
Tony

Mick, I'm not sure exactly when these were adopted by the UK but they were in widespread service when I joined the Army in 1974. Also, your carrying strap hasn't been 'cut off'. When the weapon is being prepared for firing the pin is pulled from the rear cap. The rear cap opening releases the carrying strap (which is now no longer needed) and allows it to fall away from the weapon. Jim

Sorry Mick, my mistake...I've just had a closer look at your pics and the front cap and its spring are still intact so obviously somebody has, as you said, cut off the webbing strap. Jim

I can remember cutting the carry strap off one of these and using it as a helmet band for adding foliage (US M1 style helmet). Almost perfect in length and complete with adjustment buckle. For a disposable weapon, the strap was well made and useful for other purposes. Cheers