What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with a 12.7x108

37patt

I have a 12.7x108 cartridge with a head stamp that reads 12.7 at the 12 oclock position and 81 at the 6 oclock position.

The bullet tip is colour coded with a blue tip over a red band. The colours are vivid so no mistaking them for something else. I suspect it represents the Russian APIT codes but the tip is definitely blue and not violet/purple.

Hoping that someone can identify the manufacturer/country and the tip code. Thanks

Sounds like Chad but better show us images of the hs and the paint markings.

Is there any sign that there could have been another colour band below the red band at sometime?

A picture is worth a thousand words but I think it's Chinese. The color code of the projectile eludes me. There is Chech and Polish rounds with this color code or similars color codes. I'm not aware of any Soviet rounds with it. There's not a lot of info on modern Chinese ordinance. I have been x-raying the Chinese rounds I've been getting to determine what they are but I don't have this round. I wish I did though!

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful as usual. I will try to post pictures but they usually frustrate me pretty badly, so hopefully...
The cartridge was found in Kuwait following the first Gulf War.

IIRC there were pictures of belts of this colour coded 12.7mm shown when the Libyan rebels broke into various government arms dumps, so it does not surprise me that this example was found in Kuwait. Cannot help with origin though.

Regards
TonyE