Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,233 Times in 489 Posts

KPOM Yugoslav magnetic influence anti tank mine

Cutaway model of a Yugoslav KPOM magnetic influence anti-tank mine. The mine is air dispensed and delivered by the R262 artillery rocket of the Orkan MLRS which has a payload of 24 KPOM mines, and the M77 rocket of the OGANJ MLRS which has a payload of four KPOM mines.

The mine is build up of a sheet steel outer casing (1), in which the explosive charge (2)and the magnetic infulence fuze housing (3) are placed. To the top of the outer casing the four retarding and orientation fins are placed. These pop out as soon as the mine has left the carrier housing of the rocket. In the base, a lead grid (4), packed in a sheet aluminium housing is placed. In my opinion it is meant to absorb the shock of impact on hard soil by deforming the lead. The mine in the casing is build up of a Self forming fragment (SFF) in top (5)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator , which functions according to the miznay-shardin effect. The 0,4 kg explosive charge (2) is packed in an aluminium container which is screwed into the green PVC fuze housing (3).

The greenPVC fuze housing contains the electronics (6) which are cast in transparent resign, the brass mechanical reduction gear box (7) housing the electric firing cap, the battery (8 ) and the metal detection spool (9 ).

As no descriptions of the mine are available in pamphlets, either on the internet, containing any detailed info, I have to make an educated guess as to some parts of the functioning of the mine.

Upon impact with the ground, an inertia switch is activated –most probably in the mechanical reduction gear-, allowing the spring loaded mechanical reduction gear box to run down, rotating the last gearwheel which houses the electric firing cap under the detonator (10,red). It also releases a circuit breaker pin which allows the electric circuit to be closed (present, not visable in picture) , powering up the electric circuits. These form the arming delays after impact. When the detection spool (9) detects a large amount of metal passing over, it will activate the electric firing cap which will activate the detonator (red), igniting the main charge (2). This will form the concave steel disc (5) in top of the charge into a hypervelocity steel slug, that will penetrate the belly of a tank or an armoured vehicle. The required distance needed to form the slug is formed by the distance from the top of the mine to the belly of the tank.

-I do not know if there is a discrimination mechanism in the mine which can tell the difference between a tank, an armoured vehicle, a truck or a normal car. The relatively large amount of electronics makes me think it could possibly discriminate between a car and a tank.

-It is also unknown to me if the mine deactivates itself after a certain amount of hours by self destruct or if it is shut down and deactivated by the battery running out.

-Looking at the size of the battery and electronics, I guess at least 5 to 7 days of functioning can be expected, but that’s a wild guess.

If anyone has more info about this mine, do not hesitate and let me know. I’d be more than interested to learn more details.

Regards,DJH.

A Big thank you to Joop Dijkman from the MTM-DAWN (Munitie Technologisch Museum - Demining Academy Wanroy Netherlands) for allowing me to picture the loose parts of his mine (pict 04 and 05)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spotter; 30th May 2013 at 04:49 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (13th May 2013), goran_croatia (26th May 2013), Sir Roger (23rd May 2013), spotter (12th May 2013), stecol (12th May 2013), Tarbelin51 (26th May 2013)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    again - great work and write up
    any live or dug ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by EOD personell

Thanks
    Thanks Weberoed, you're welcome.

I hope to get some drawings and official descriptions too

On the Wikipedia link I found the following tekst:

"As a rule of thumb, an EFP can perforate a thickness of armour steel equal to half the diameter of its charge for a copper or iron liner,"

As the working cone diameter with this steel disc is 85mm, the penetration should be around 42,5mm. However, one should note this is with optimum stand off conditions.

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    This is not KB-2, and KB-2 and KPOM-1 are not same munitions. KB-2 is a bomblet similar to KB-1 but has steel body which is internally prefragmented unlike KB-1 which is prefragmented by 3mm dia steel balls in plastic wrapping.

I think that I am among few who had opportunity to dispose few of KPOMs, but on the test ground as this type of ordnance has never been adopted in Yugoslav army inventory. Following the instructions I have received by and engineer who worked on it's development prior to disposal, the mine has electronic self destruct device that will set off the mine 24hrs upon arming. Due to malfunction of self destruct mechanism on the mines we had to dispose all precautions had to be taken.

Initially KPOM-1 mine was developed for use in M87 262mm MLRS, but due to its diameter it was planned to be used also on M77 128mm MLRS.

In M87 warhead mines are placed in 8 containers. each container holds 3 mines-24 in total. containers are chute retarded after they are released from the warhead. after 2,5 seconds after chute is deployed those containers open and packed mines are dispensed and in free fall stabilized by their four wings.
    Last edited by al'saad; 25th May 2013 at 09:56 AM.
    ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Federal Civil Protection EOD Department

my panoramio: http://www.panoramio.com/user/2050161

my deviantart: http://vranax.deviantart.com/gallery/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to al'saad For This Useful Post:

pzgr40 (27th May 2013)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

Kptm

Hello

I am not really of agreement for name KPOM-1.
    One finds same name for KPOM- PFM-1 and1S.
    KPOM being the container of thesubmunition.
    At the time documentation found infactory VOGOSKA (1998) mentioned KPTM.
    Here are some photographs of the mine and the KPOM with its ammunition.
    As well as a cutaway of the rockets 262mm.

KPTM Ababel-005.jpgKPTM Ababel-002.jpgPhc004.jpgPhc005.jpgPhc022.jpg

KOM4.jpgKPTM.i.jpgKPTM.m.jpgKPTM.c.jpg
    COMPOS SUI ------------ Master of one's self in all circumstances

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarbelin51 For This Useful Post:

pzgr40 (27th May 2013)

Thanks
    @ al'Saad and Tarbelin; Thank you very much for the added info and the pictures!

@ al'Saad; I got the info from a manual, that supposedly is wrong. I had forgotten that I have described the KB-2 before , and you are right,it is the modified KB-1. So we can scrap the KB-2 text.

@ Tarbelin, thank you for your input; we will now have to find out which name is fully correct; KPOM-1 , either KPTM

@ moderator; can you please (temporary) edit the title and the first alinea to:

"KPOM Yugoslav magnetic influence anti tank mine
    Cutaway model of a Yugoslav KPOM magnetic influence anti-tank mine. The mine is air dispensed and delivered by the R262 artillery rocket of the Orkan MLRS which has a payload of 24 KPOM mines, and the M77 rocket of the OGANJ MLRS which has a payload of four KPOM mines."

Until we get the final correct name; either KPOM or KPTM.
    I am really interested to know which name is correct. Is there a manual available on this mine?

Regards, DJH

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    KPOM-kasetna protiv oklopna mina (cluster anti-armour mine)
    KPTM-kasetna protiv tenkovska mina (cluster anti-tank mine)

on the container on tarbelin's image stands: 4 kom KPOM which means 4 pcs of KPOM- standard writing on any packing of ammo in Yugoslavia, so it is not container's name KPOM but of its contents.

Thanks
    Was this landmine known also with the nickname "Ababeel" ?

Regards
    stecol

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes it is also known as ababeel.
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    Ababeel was a code name in Yugoslav military industry regarding program of production of KPOM-1
    Code name for 262mm rocket system was Col.

For M84 main battle tank (yugo version of T72) code name was Capella.

KPOM-1 was never adopted in the service and never used in combat due to beginning of the war in Yugoslavia.
    Last edited by al'saad; 1st June 2013 at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast