What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

something about 9N210

Ivashkin

Premium Member
I think it could be interesting for people here on BOCN to see a bit more photos of soviet sub 9N210. Anfortunatly it without fuze (both of them), but and it probably could be interesting.
IMG_8447.jpgIMG_8448.jpgIMG_8443.jpgIMG_8444.jpgIMG_8445.jpgIMG_8446.jpg
If want to see some details - ask :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:
Does anyone have the fuze they can take pictures and measurements of for me? I have the internal drawing, but am looking for some pictures.

9E246M or the 9E246

Joe

Attachments

• Fuze.jpg
    Fuze.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 51
Mine isn't in great shape, but if you don't get a better offer let me know and I'll pull it and get you some pics this weekend.

DSC_6114 (2).jpg

Thanks US-Subs ! Nice collection.
What is it this submunition ?? O 10 perhaps ???
DSC_6114 (2).jpg

Thank you for the pictures.

Interesting ... the cross piece on the nose looks plastic. Is that right?

Also, interesting note. One of the differences between the 9E246M and the 9E246 is the 9E246M has a self-destruct.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks US-Subs ! Nice collection.
What is it this submunition ?? O 10 perhaps ???
View attachment 140786

I assume you are talking about the one in the center, I don't remember the designation off the top of my head, I need to check my notes. I was helping some nice Czech guys do a download on some SS-25s left behind by the Soviets as they pulled out of country, a number of the warheads were submunition carrying. Emptying the subs was a real pain, solvents, steam, burning, nothing went well some went very poorly. Ended up cutting it with a remote water jet and then using the jet to blast the material out. This ended up being the only one done. A year later I did a similar visit when they were working on SS-21s, larger subs. Same problems except the NEW was too large to use the water jet area. I had to leave those behind, though I did manage to grab a fin and nose element.

IMG_1278 (2).jpg

It's right, in plastic.

Thank you for the pictures.

Interesting ... the cross piece on the nose looks plastic. Is that right?

Also, interesting note. One of the differences between the 9E246M and the 9E246 is the 9E246M has a self-destruct.

Joe

Hi Sub

Are you sure SS 25 ???
The submunition at the middle come from SS 21 ??

Hi Sub

Are you sure SS 25 ???
The submunition at the middle come from SS 21 ??

The submunition came from an SS-25. The designation I have for it is 9H225.
I have a number of photos, but at the moment I have no idea where. I have something like 164k digital images on file, dozens of binders full of photo negatives and even more of photographic slides. Some are better organized than others. These images are on negatives, but it would take me a day or so to find them, time which I don't have right now. I was able to dig up a few pictures from the visit and others. The Czech EOD were always great guys to work with, very open and willing to share. Some pictures attached, plus another view of my submunition.

9H225a.jpg19a.jpgD-O-SUB-RU-010.jpgDSC_0002.jpgSS-21.jpg

Attachments

• 19a.jpg
    19a.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 34
The submunition came from an SS-25.

I'm pretty sure that's a mistake in designation code.
In NATO designation system SS-25 Sickle is a RT-2 Topol - an ICBM with over 10,000 km range. It was never deployed outside Soviet Union/Russia territory. And it's armed with nuclear warhead only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-2PM_Topol

That submunition is probably from SS-23 Spider - R-400 Oka - small SRBM (up to 500 km range). SS-23 was definitely deployed in Eastern Europe countries in 1980s. Also Czechoslovakian army has it up to the country split into Czech Republic and Slovakia. Czech Spiders were phased out in the end of 1990s, Slovak in about 2000.
According to warhead, there was 3 options: nuclear, 450 kg high-explosive or 715 kg fragmentation cluster with 95 submunitions 4 kg each.

That sounds correct. They consistently referred to it as an SS-25, but also as a Spider. There is also always the possibility that it was a language issue. Their English may have been off a bit, and my Czech is non-existent.

Correct, if you look at the picture label you will note that as well. It was the only SS-21 pic I found already scanned. I've got many more, but no time right now.