What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.7mm DRILL

kahu1

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me the maker and country of origin of this 12.7mm/.50cal drill round?.
Non magnetic (stainless?) steel solid ,bored out to the shoulder,fluted.Very fine turning marks.
Headstamp; 12.7mm DRILL 00 AM 04 .

12.7.JPG12.7.2.jpg

cheers
Bob

Nobody got any ideas?
Have heard a suggestion that it is a manufacturers drill round,possibly Australian or Isreali(?), being metric guessing could also be European?.

The wording "Drill" is most commonly used within the UK and maybe some Commonwealth states.

hi kahu1. I have a simular drill round here only mine is in .303 cal. word is it`s made in th netherlands some time
in the mid/late 90`s. I still don`t know why they made .303 cal drill rounds in those days.
also it`s not a one of as they are still for sale at jumbles. the headstamp is not from AI/EMZ in the netherlands.

IMG_0358.jpgIMG_0359.jpg

Thanks for that info RNLMC, kind of ties in with the manufacturers drill round theory.
Have been told it is a .50cal QCB (FN) drill round,so possibly Belgium? .

I may be able to help here. I have the same drill round with the years dated 03 and 01. The person I got them off said they came from the Australian Navy. I don't know which country supplied them but they are quite common in Australia.

The Dutch .303 inch drill rounds were made for the Dutch Marines who apparently still had Bren guns in the early 90s.

Regards
TonyE