What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brock anti Zeppelin dart

SG500

Premium Member
I was pleased to pick this one up recently, quite a rare find.

At 10 inches long its a bit bigger than most of the flechette type items out there. If anyone else has any anti Zeppelin darts I'd be interested in seeing photos or information about them.

All empty and INERT.

Thanks.

Dave.

dart1.jpgdart2.jpgdart3.jpgdart4.jpgdart5.jpgdart6.jpgScan.jpg

Nobody seems concerned about the one's that missed and landed in the Ole Cottage roof ~:tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks guys.
There's also reference to it in the book "Les flechettes d'avion de la grande guerre a now jours" by Jean-Pierre Leroy on page 59.
Dave.

Brock's to my knowledge is historically the most important british pyrotechnics company and Commander Brock one of the greatest inventors of a large multitude of devices. On page 261 of his beautiful book, his son writes: "The first success in the air to which he contributed was the brilliant exploit of Flight-sub-Lieutenant R.A.J. Warneford,V.C.,R.N.A.S., on June 7, 1915, in bringing down the L.Z.37 in flames with a specially constructed bomb, for the design of which he (Brock) was, at any rate in part, responsible. Later came the Brock bullet........" Both of these designs I have never seen. Any info ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Can you give the full title of the book you refer to please?

Here is a picture of the brock anti-Zeppelin round together with a sectioned example.

The main composition was potassium chlorate and the priming mix was potassium chlorate and mercury sulphocyanide.

More details on my website here: https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-303-inch/-303-inch-explosive

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Brock whole and ssectioned.jpg
    Brock whole and ssectioned.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Here is a picture of the brock anti-Zeppelin round together with a sectioned example.

The main composition was potassium chlorate and the priming mix was potassium chlorate and mercury sulphocyanide.

More details on my website here: https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-303-inch/-303-inch-explosive

Regards
TonyE

"A History Of Fireworks" by Alan St.H. Brock A.R.I.B.A., George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd, 82 High Holborn, London, W.C.1, 1949 ; commemoration : To the memory of my father Arthur Brock Pyrotechnist 1858-1938

Brock's to my knowledge is historically the most important british pyrotechnics company and Commander Brock one of the greatest inventors of a large multitude of devices. [...] Bellifortis.

Thanks Bellifortis, I heartily agree. Commander Brock was killed on the Zeebrugge Raid in April 1918. No doubt his explosives knowledge was used to prepare the charges in the assault ship (HMS Vindictive).

Regards
TonyE

Hallo TonyE,
there must be something missing in the maincomp. Potassium Chlorate alone is just a salt and without reducing agent it does not even burn.

I got another one today. When I got it I realised its about 5mm longer than the other one and the fins are slightly different.
I guess manufacturing tolerances aren't so important for things like this.
Dave.

IMG_6459.jpgIMG_6461.jpg

I just stumbled across the above paper of the Munitions Inventions Department. Three fillings are quoted for the darts. No.3 is a quite unusual pyrotechnic concoction. I expect this to burn, but how was the mix in the darttube ignited ? Does anybody know ?
Bellifortis.
I was pleased to pick this one up recently, quite a rare find.

At 10 inches long its a bit bigger than most of the flechette type items out there. If anyone else has any anti Zeppelin darts I'd be interested in seeing photos or information about them.

All empty and INERT.

Thanks.

Dave.

View attachment 78536View attachment 78537View attachment 78538View attachment 78539View attachment 78540View attachment 78541View attachment 78542

I like to refresh my question. Does anybody here know how the pyrotechnic composition in the tube of the "Brock Anti-Zeppelin Dart" was to be ignited ? Was there a fuse attached ?
I am thankful for any idea.
regards,
Bellifortis.