What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norwegian Discus Grenades

Millsman

Premium Member
Found these in a museum in Norway. Not seen them before. One clearly a training grenade in red. Please excuse the photo quality. It was through glass in a very dark museum.

Cool!

Norwegian Discus Grenades.jpg

John

Last edited:
Maybe in winter it would stop the skin sticking to the metal? Maybe Finland did something similar, I don't know?

Hello,

Does anyone could post a diagram or something else for this Norwegian diskus grenade ?

Regards

The red grenade (on the first photo) are a "Hagen" discus grenade constructed by a well known Norwegian gunsmith firm in Oslo, it saw very limited use. The other one are most likely constructed by " the father of modern hand grenades" Nils Waltersen Aasen (30 March 1878 – December 1925, but are commonly known as "the Kongsberg grenade". It has percussion igniter and a charge consisting of 135g Trinol. EOD, are you sure you have seen this Norwegian model with a cloth cover? If that is the case it is totally unknown to me. But if you stip of the metal body, the charge are sewn into a cotton bag, I will try to find a photo.

Attachments

• diskos1.jpg
    diskos1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 63
Here a quick photo showing the internal cotton bag. Photo are from the original manual (1917) so not the best quality.

Attachments

• gran1.jpg
    gran1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 98
The other one are most likely constructed by " the father of modern hand grenades" Nils Waltersen Aasen (30 March 1878 – December 1925, but are commonly known as "the Kongsberg grenade".

Did he do any others?

All of Europe was using Aasen's grenades in the 1. WW. His factory in Denmark had problems covering the demand. Aasen is not only famous for his grenades, may be more even as the inventor of a new class of mines. The "Silent soldier" or "Bouncing Betty". The allies thought this to be a german invention. It's Aaasen's.
Did he do any others?

It's interesting that he started his experiments about the same time a Frederick Marten Hale. I think they were all inspired by the Russian Japanese war at the turn of the century where grenades made a military 'come back'.

John

As timmymac stated previously, a great thread. Had never heard of Mr. Assen. Another one of those learn something new every day days.

thM191620Gray-20110614-000307.jpgVery good additional information. He (NWA) also had a large factory in France. This is one of his most successful designs that had called the "NWA håndgranat) in Norway. I have the illustrated manual if someone would like to see photos of priming/ use.

Where is the museum in Norway, and what are the openings times?

The museum was in Trondheim. The one almost next door to the cathedral (there are two in the town).

I won't advise on opening times, but I'd suggest you check their website.

John