What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An evening walk near Desvres, Northern France

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I noticed eight `Blockhaus' in a row marked on a map very close to a house where we stayed for our recent holiday. The location is on a ridge to the South of Desvres, accessed from the dechetterie (recycling bins) on the left side of the D341 road at the hamlet of Les Courteaux. A track to the left off the dechetterie gave access to all eight. They were not bunkers as such, just substantial concrete walls that had previously had brick extensions on top of them. There were two designs but I was only able to see one design clearly. Of that type, the rear facing the track was open. Moving forward, the side walls were then necked before continuing forward again. The forward-most wall had a doorway-sized gap in it with what appeared to be a blast wall in front of it. Back at the dechetterie was another track, a private road leading to a large farmhouse. I noticed another concrete structure at the head of the road that looked like a sentry post and the remains of a barrier across the road. Not sure if it's worth a special visit but I hope it is of interest.CNV00087.jpgCNV00096.JPGCNV00095.JPGCNV00094.JPGCNV00093.JPGCNV00092.jpgCNV00091.jpgCNV00090.jpgCNV00089.jpgCNV00088.jpgCNV00101.JPG

Hi,AMMOTECHXT.Thanks for posting and taking the time to investigate the "Blockhaus",in pic 7,there is what looks like a small hangar,is this from the same period,and pic 11,looks very similar to a "Tobruk" bunker without a top,I would assume the traverse ring for the MG would mount on top of the octagonal section,the land looks very flat,was this perhaps an old airfiel at sometime,?.

Thanks again,
Don,

Hi Don, not sure about the age of the `hangar', although it occurred to me that it might be one, as it is not close to a farmhouse or any other house (the nearest house is maybe 300 metres away). I believe the front was fitted with a pair of sliding doors. The land is fairly flat, on the top of a ridge above the town of Desvres. It also occurred to me that if the structures were open at the back, then an aircraft could be wheeled into each. Photo 4 shows one of the structures as complete as possible, including the possible blast wall to the left of the opening on the left side of the photo. As you can see, local farmers have taken to storing their chalk supplies in and near them. Some of the structures are missing their `blast' walls, while others are surrounded with greenery so it is not possible to view all.

Hi AMMOTECHXT,I had a look on google maps and from I can see there does not look to have been an airfield there unless it was a grass strip for liason aircraft,(Storch etc) which could take off in about 50 yards in a stiff breeze,but why eight bunkers,plus they all face the same way and are not multi directional,as they would be if they were for artillery,there are some interesting circular patches of chalk showing up on the darker field to the right of the bunkers,could they be shell impacts,I will do a bit of trawling and see what I can find out,the "hangar"looks odd in that if it were a farm building it would be nearer the farm perhaps,
Cheers,
Don,