What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POM-2s, POM-2P & POM-2

Sprockets

I am surprised that this "Jack-in-the Box" of Machiavellian ingenuity hasn't had a thread previously! Does anybody have a translation of the excellent images posted by Sapera.ru. on post POM-2P. Also, does anyone have an image, or know the operation, of the Self-destruct version POM-2s?(Perhaps a metal-creep type?)

The hand launcher has a strange -looking valve? besides the friction? igniter on the hand launcher-posted by Saper.ru on post titled "POM-2P". Perhaps this is to release pressure, and so prevent too rapid operation of the igneferous timer used to initiate launching, should the munition be inserted too deeply, so moving past the pressure release slots at the side. Could they become iced up?

Finally, any ideas on the perforations in the uprighting arms? Simply to ensure rapidity of action by reducing their inertia, or even prevent them freezing to the side through trapped water?

Is this another design from the fertile mind of Popov?

Please don't hold back!

Martin.

I am surprised that this "Jack-in-the Box" of Machiavellian ingenuity hasn't had a thread previously! Does anybody have a translation of the excellent images posted by Sapera.ru. on post POM-2P. Also, does anyone have an image, or know the operation, of the Self-destruct version POM-2s?(Perhaps a metal-creep type?)

The hand launcher has a strange -looking valve? besides the friction? igniter on the hand launcher-posted by Saper.ru on post titled "POM-2P". Perhaps this is to release pressure, and so prevent too rapid operation of the igneferous timer used to initiate launching, should the munition be inserted too deeply, so moving past the pressure release slots at the side. Could they become iced up?

Finally, any ideas on the perforations in the uprighting arms? Simply to ensure rapidity of action by reducing their inertia, or even prevent them freezing to the side through trapped water?

Please don't hold back!

Martin.

Hi Martin,
I`m not sure that anybody translated from Saper.ru any articles on English or another languages, but I can help with translation today in the evening. I don`t think Saper.ru very popular in foreing countries and unfortunatly it isn`t very popular and in ex-USSR. Alex and I (I wrote articles for this web-site too) wrote interesting articles, but unfortunatly nobody interesting in it and that`s why we`re a bit lazy write something new, but what write I and Alex have :tinysmile_twink_t2:
All POM-2 don`t have so big difference.

Hello, Ivashkin,

Thanks for your rapid reply. It is very kind of you to offer to translate such a large amount of information, so you must be a "workerholic", or should I say, a "Stakhanovite"! I was sorry to hear that the site written by Alex & you is not so popular even in the ex-U.S.S.R, as it is so well produced! Hopefully that will change!

I have been fascinated about the fact that A. Popov is so open about his ingenious ideas. Have you ever spoken to him? I remember that at an international conference on Cluster Bombs, he spoke on behalf of Russia, so he isn't shy!

Finally, I must say that you live in a beautiful country. I first visited Yalta over 30 years ago-a most impressive city, and again three years ago, as well as the Crimea area.If only we had your weather-Summer so far in Britain is just like winter!

Martin.

Please don't hold back!

Martin.

On my opinion perforations made for less weight (just few gramms, but less!) and for easier lands POM-2 on position. Probably and for ise too, because through this hole can easy go and water and sand and grass too, because without this perforation I think mine can fall down on the side and doesn`t be so effective.
Unfortunatly I didn`t anderstend question "Could they become iced up?" What do you mean? Can POM-2 use on ice or can it work, if the spring-loaded fins freeze in ice? If you mean this, my answer - yes, it can work, because spring-loaded don`t use for activating mine.
All type of POM-2 which you can see in his article are exist, and one more - POM-SV (ПОМ-СВ). POM-SV doesn`t have tripwire and uses for place disturbing minefield - you don`t know that minefield here, you don`t see any tripwire, but hear boom and probably have and see casualties.
I think you translated all another wariants of POM-2 from this article - http://saperka.ru/mina-pom-2r If not - I can help with it.
POM-2 has self-destruction mechanism.POM-2S isn`t exist, because POM-2 when appeared POM-2 it had self-destruction mechanism.
Self-destruction mechanism has hydromechanical principle and time of destruction depends of temperature around.
POM-2P, POM-2P1, POM-2PBS, POM-2P1BS are useing only in handly sistem of landing. Mine POM-2P + special handle mechanism URP (УРП) call complect KRM-P (Противопехотный комплект ручного минирования). URP with practice POM-2R you can see on photo.
УРП-разрез.jpgСборка.jpg
If I didn`t answer on some of your question - I`ll try to help with it.

Hello, Ivashkin,

Thanks for your rapid reply. It is very kind of you to offer to translate such a large amount of information, so you must be a "workerholic", or should I say, a "Stakhanovite"! I was sorry to hear that the site written by Alex & you is not so popular even in the ex-U.S.S.R, as it is so well produced! Hopefully that will change!

I have been fascinated about the fact that A. Popov is so open about his ingenious ideas. Have you ever spoken to him? I remember that at an international conference on Cluster Bombs, he spoke on behalf of Russia, so he isn't shy!

Finally, I must say that you live in a beautiful country. I first visited Yalta over 30 years ago-a most impressive city, and again three years ago, as well as the Crimea area.If only we had your weather-Summer so far in Britain is just like winter!

Martin.

I hope our web-site would be better too, but I`m concentrating on my book and articles for magazine now and don`t want spray my time on everything and in total don`t do anything :) But of courcse, if you want to get something you sometimes should work and like Stakhanovec and like workeholic :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
And of course I know Alex. He likes his work and it`s very well!
Crimea very beautiful, but really expensive. Unfortunatly because it`s slavic (probably more correctly talk - east slavic) mentalitet - you want a lot of money in one moment!

Hello, Ivashkin, again,

Thanks so much for your useful comments. Yes, your point that water could reduce the speed at which the arms move to upright the munition makes a lot of sense. I meant to say, very badly, that if moisture got between the arms and the case and froze, then the holes would reduce the area stuck to the side, so the spring could free the arm. I think your idea is better!

You show two photographs of a sectioned hand launcher (Not that you would hold it!?). Do you pull the red cap, after unscrewing, to somehow ignite the fuze? Is it a sort of friction igniter? Also, picture 1 shows a metal pin projecting into the bottom of the cup. It projects outside as well. What is its use?

Have you seen the cut-away of the POM-1s on the ORDATA site-If not , I will send it to you, as it shows much more detail, but still doesnt explain how the pyrotechnic delay is ignited, after the safety pin is removed. There is no spring striker, so perhaps it is some sort of friction igniter?

Finally, if I cannot find any other source of information, perhaps if I sent you a short & simple ! note, would you be brave enough to translate and forward it to the great A Popov's site! He seems to be very proud of his cleverness, and the POM-1s was designed a long time ago! He might be in a good mood!

What is your book about-Is it poetry, as this seems to run deeply through the soul of the Slavic peoples? I remember Russian soldiers being interviewed in Afghanistan, and thinking how poetic their replies were, compared to a typical US soldier.

Best regards,

Martin

I meant to say, very badly, that if moisture got between the arms and the case and froze, then the holes would reduce the area stuck to the side, so the spring could free the arm. I think your idea is better!
As I told before - case stand on position and no mater what around - sand, water, ground or something else, because body with charge inside case and jumps independecy of the sace.

You show two photographs of a sectioned hand launcher (Not that you would hold it!?). Do you pull the red cap, after unscrewing, to somehow ignite the fuze? Is it a sort of friction igniter? Also, picture 1 shows a metal pin projecting into the bottom of the cup. It projects outside as well. What is its use?
The`re four POM-2P and four URP in complect KRM-P. You connect POM-2P in URP just by puting POM-2P inside body of UPR. Then you unscrew this red cap and pull rope (you can see it on cutway, if look attention) and throw out this device (would be better stand it by mine down - you can see it on video). Metal pin just for better connection POM-2R and URP and it doesn`t have any influence on mine.

Have you seen the cut-away of the POM-1s on the ORDATA site-If not , I will send it to you, as it shows much more detail, but still doesnt explain how the pyrotechnic delay is ignited, after the safety pin is removed. There is no spring striker, so perhaps it is some sort of friction igniter?

Finally, if I cannot find any other source of information, perhaps if I sent you a short & simple ! note, would you be brave enough to translate and forward it to the great A Popov's site! He seems to be very proud of his cleverness, and the POM-1s was designed a long time ago! He might be in a good mood!

Mike wrote very well information about POM-1S. Unfortunatly manuals don`t talk everything about working devices and in most situation wrote just few sinply words.

What is your book about-Is it poetry, as this seems to run deeply through the soul of the Slavic peoples? I remember Russian soldiers being interviewed in Afghanistan, and thinking how poetic their replies were, compared to a typical US soldier.

On no, my book not about Slavic soul, just facts and describing devices and history about them :tinysmile_tongue_t: Mines and demolition work since first years of the world and to end of WWII.