What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some help needed with a 75mm apcbc

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
A few american 75mm apcbc M61 where discovered and destroyed by the dutch EOD. After the explosion some remains where found back and then there was a strange form of armour piercing caps was to be seen. This is the first time i have seen such caps. Anyone has a clue or even ever seen drawings of these. Maby experimentel??. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• P6190001.jpg
    P6190001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 28
  • P6190002.jpg
    P6190002.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P6190006.jpg
    P6190006.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
M61 75mm APC

A few american 75mm apcbc M61 where discovered and destroyed by the dutch EOD. After the explosion some remains where found back and then there was a strange form of armour piercing caps was to be seen. This is the first time i have seen such caps. Anyone has a clue or even ever seen drawings of these. Maby experimentel??. Thanks in advance

Hello. After I read your post I went to the ready rack (it is for 3inch M62), pulled out the first 2 rounds, pulled out the projectiles and then knocked off the ballistic caps so that I could answer better your question. Then I went to "The American Arsenal" by Ian Hogg for reprints of WW2 US ordnance manuals. While it shows the 75mm M-61 and 3inch M-62 APC rounds in cross section and mentions that the wind shield may be attached in 1 of four ways, it makes no mention of different types of piercing caps. Maybe it was up to the manufacturer if they made a faceted cap or a plain round one. The 2 M62 3in projectiles pictured are made by GMC (the faceted one) 1943 dated and CDC (the plain one) 1944 dated. I think Ive seen a third variation in piercing cap but cant remember for sure. Since usually the caps dont come off it is hard to say what is underneath. Hope this information is of some use to you.

Attachments

• DSCF6343.JPG
    DSCF6343.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF6344.JPG
    DSCF6344.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 40
Tanks for knocking of the caps, we have destroyed several thousands of these projo's and this is the first time we have seen this type of piercing caps. Remains the qoustion wy such a cap.