What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Museum Ordnance Photos

One of the early versions of deep penetration bombs, aka "bunker busters". You can attach guadance packages, etc. Lineage started with the Gulf War, kind of slowed with Afghanistan.

BDGreen,

The BLU-109 is as Jeff described. It doesn't have a nose fuzewell, as the nose is solid so it will penetrate more successfully. It has a threaded boss on the nose to attach guidance packages like the Paveway series. It is very similar in design to the WWII AP bombs in that it has a lot more steel for penetrating mass in the nose, and less explosive. It is also smaller in diameter to penetrate easier, but it gets larger near the base so the standard fin kits will fit. It also has bolt on lugs externally instead of the screw-in type lugs of the GP bombs.

It's identified as Navy because of the gray paint and the "crackle" thermal protective coating that the Navy requires on all bombs after the Forrestal incident, although the Air Force is going to be going to that coating soon.

Photos from the Hill AFB Museum

Attachments

• BLU-109.jpg
    BLU-109.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
  • BLU-109 Data.jpg
    BLU-109 Data.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks for the great pictures of what looks like an air dropped MK44 torpedo.

Jason

Excellent that Hohlringladung ... a most rare item. :top:
Even though the label is damaged at the decisive point, it's most likely the larger 3Kg-version.

Excellent that Hohlringladung ... a most rare item. :top:
Even though the label is damaged at the decisive point, it's most likely the larger 3Kg-version.

What was their intended use?

That Vietnam era, "Battlefield Lighting" piece of equipment is so unusual. Something I have never seen before, thank you so much for posting the photos. Very enlightening :)

That Vietnam era, "Battlefield Lighting" piece of equipment is so unusual. Something I have never seen before, thank you so much for posting the photos. Very enlightening :)

I suppose the pun should receive credit, though I might have expected a brighter response....