What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MILAN Missile Markings

stanleyrf89

Hi, I'm about to embark on the restoration of a MILAN missile, it's an ex Practice round that had been converted to instructional use in a cutaway launching tube. Most of the parts are there but it has been painted / reprinted several times in its life, most recently it would seem with some Dulux gloss on the fins!

Any photographs of original colour and markings for a practice or HE round greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi stanleyrf89
I hope it suits you (handbook of Milan)
cordialement
Jean Paul
Image1.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpg

Here's an earlier post that shows the HE J103 version: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/72346-Milan?highlight=milan. The brown (hazard) band on the motor section would be the same for HE and Practice. The warhead section was black for HE and the practice warhead was blue. The fins were always unpainted. They were made of a non metallic substance, I forget what, but probably some kind of light, plastic type material.

Thanks for these, I will post some photos at the weekend, there are 3 fins with the missile, 2 original and one a fibreglass copy - they seem to be manufactured from a nylon / fibreglass hybrid - so I will probably cast some copies.

Work and life always seem to get in the way - but here are the photos of the MILAN that I am about to start restoring, the parts all need cleaning, the body has been previously stripped of its grey paint, but enough traces remain to colour match. The bodies seem to be grey with a brown rectangle just below the warhead, and the only markings refer to the batch number (from the photo's I've seen to date).DSCF9325.jpgDSCF9329.jpgDSCF9330.jpgDSCF9331.jpgDSCF9326.jpgDSCF9327.jpgDSCF9328.jpg

So some progress (albeit at a slow pace!) I've nom made replacement wings for the broken, chipped and heavily painted ones that came with the missile. By sanding back the least worst fin and gluing the broken tab back on I was able to create a two part silicone mould to then cast replacements in polyurethane, which seems pretty close to the originals. By using a white pigment I could get a reasonable colour match. The fins now need to be trimmed back and finished by drilling them and lightly sanding to get a smooth finish. Next up will be the rocket body.

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 4.jpg