Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    It was realised that the ends of the mine were not covered by the liquid filled pressure pad and that it was quite possible for a tank to harmlessly run over either end without damage.
    Originally, the pressure pads were not extended to the end due to potential damage during storage and handling, also possible problems with the mechanical mine layer.
    It became obvious during trials that had the pressure pads extended to the end, even if a tank ran over the end and the body of the mine was not under the tank, it was at least capable of blowing the track off.
    Retrospectively, a mechanical and an electrical fuze, both known as FWAM (Full Width Attack Mine) fuzes were developed to overcome this
    problem.

The purple bands indicate that it is 'experimental' and probably part of a trial testing different aspects of the mine.

Thanks
    thanks for the info guys,my one is more likely one of the experimentals from the UK as its unlikely that one of the test ones from the US blast tests ended up here in NZ
    US-SUBS,i bet those tests were truly spectacular,i would loved to have been there,any details of TNT amounts used etc,(or is that classified)can you post a better picture of yours when you get time

Thanks
    I googled misty picture and there is quite a bit of info on this and other tests.this one was almost 5000 tons of ANFO (which is about the same as the texas city explosion in 1947

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,042 Posts
    The internet reports are pretty close, off on some details but fine for the general public. Actual explosive weight was 4,864 tons. It was ammonium nitrate based, but not strictly anfo. Different materials can replace the fuel oil to vary velocities and temperatures, the scientists at NED (Nuclear Effects Directorate) tuned things to meet their exact requirements. My team was responsible for recovery of a number of classified test vehicles that were launched into the blast in the seconds before, during and after, while waiting for the event we made our way to the closest manned observation point, at 6 miles from the event. While the technicians huddled in the bunker we sat out front for the full view and impact of the event, we were not disappointed. I also worked the Direct Course and Minor Scale tests while at WSMR.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12