What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Bar Mine Drill L21A1

BMG50

Premium Member
Some pictures of a Drill Bar mine L21A1 with Drill fuze L139A1 representing fuze L129A1. Quite an interesting mine in that the fuze is activated by a liquid filled tube that runs the length of the top half of the mine, when pressure is applied to the mine the liquid forces the fuze to activate to set it off. The L139 fuze that straps to the top at either end of the bar mine has a pop up aerial that has a wheel on the end that is turned by the underside of a vehicle, that in turn activates a complex mechanism which sets of a small charge that penetrates the bar mine to set it off. I believe now they use existing stocks as the Bar mine is now obsolete as breaching charges for walls etc by cutting the mine in two. These mines are also on the IED mine list as stocks were sold to overseas countries. Quite a nice piece of kit, a mine you don't see very often and also very heavy.

Attachments

• barmi1.jpg
    barmi1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 87
  • barmi2.jpg
    barmi2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 89
  • barmi3.jpg
    barmi3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 77
  • barmi4.jpg
    barmi4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 79
  • barmi5.jpg
    barmi5.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 72
  • barmi6.jpg
    barmi6.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 69
  • barmi7.jpg
    barmi7.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 71
  • barmi8.jpg
    barmi8.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This is the Barmine L9. This one has the special fuze added to embarrass anyone who didn't expect to be destroyed by a British mine.

Please ignore my previous post. I think it was meant to be a joke of some kind, but it doesn't make sense to me now. Never drink and post.

got my barmine out of storage as I hadn't seen it for along time.is this a classroom trainer and what do the purple stripes mean,are these the markings for a live mine?

Attachments

• P1030927.jpg
    P1030927.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 29
  • P1030928.jpg
    P1030928.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1030929.jpg
    P1030929.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 30
UK Barmine Fuze L142A1.jpgUK Barmine Fuze XL128E3.jpgI show two different British Bar Mine Fuzes.
Blue Drill Fuze Mine A TK L142A1 Rep.Fuze L128A1. Weight 1.09Kg (2lb 6.4oz).
Brown Fuze Mine XL128E3. Weight 1.25kg (2lb 12oz).
I was pleased to see the actual bar mine and information. Thanks. Ron.
I thought a purple stripe on UK items indicated experimental? (kiwieod).

Not always, among other things it can mean test or associated with a test. In the late 80s we did nuclear simulation blasts at White Sands Missile Range, some of the largest non-nuclear detonations ever done. These were done for the purpose of testing nuke weapon effects on various targets. The largest of these was Misty Picture, in which 25 NATO and allied nations participated, bringing/constructing their specific items to be tested. Over 225 tests were incorporated in this one blast. Aircraft, nuke-proof bunkers, NBC vehicles, plus various pieces of Soviet hardware. I don't remember the specifics of the UK tests, but one involved many pallets of 155mm projectiles and L9A4 bar mines. The projos were all violet, and the mines all had violet bands. All had inert fill. We were told that these were marked just for the test. Post test all were turned over to us for disposal, most were scrapped out but some were kept for training. Excuse the photo quality, I'm on the road and away from the collection, so have to make due with what is at hand. The projo was repainted at one point for other testing, but you can see the different colors.

DSC_8601b.jpgL9A4 Mine, ATK, Blast.jpg

It was realised that the ends of the mine were not covered by the liquid filled pressure pad and that it was quite possible for a tank to harmlessly run over either end without damage.
Originally, the pressure pads were not extended to the end due to potential damage during storage and handling, also possible problems with the mechanical mine layer.
It became obvious during trials that had the pressure pads extended to the end, even if a tank ran over the end and the body of the mine was not under the tank, it was at least capable of blowing the track off.
Retrospectively, a mechanical and an electrical fuze, both known as FWAM (Full Width Attack Mine) fuzes were developed to overcome this
problem.

The purple bands indicate that it is 'experimental' and probably part of a trial testing different aspects of the mine.

thanks for the info guys,my one is more likely one of the experimentals from the UK as its unlikely that one of the test ones from the US blast tests ended up here in NZ
US-SUBS,i bet those tests were truly spectacular,i would loved to have been there,any details of TNT amounts used etc,(or is that classified)can you post a better picture of yours when you get time

I googled misty picture and there is quite a bit of info on this and other tests.this one was almost 5000 tons of ANFO (which is about the same as the texas city explosion in 1947

The internet reports are pretty close, off on some details but fine for the general public. Actual explosive weight was 4,864 tons. It was ammonium nitrate based, but not strictly anfo. Different materials can replace the fuel oil to vary velocities and temperatures, the scientists at NED (Nuclear Effects Directorate) tuned things to meet their exact requirements. My team was responsible for recovery of a number of classified test vehicles that were launched into the blast in the seconds before, during and after, while waiting for the event we made our way to the closest manned observation point, at 6 miles from the event. While the technicians huddled in the bunker we sat out front for the full view and impact of the event, we were not disappointed. I also worked the Direct Course and Minor Scale tests while at WSMR.